Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to fix some of the numerous leaks on my car... I have new radiator hoses arriving this weekend. I found another leak near the back of the intake manifold. I've tried to figure out what the plug is leaking, but I cannot figure out what it is. Is this a common leak? What do I need to purchase to fix it? Do I just pull the plug out and put some sort off stuff on the threads??

Also, yes, I noticed there is some sort of fuel leak happening. I only notice it when I turn a corner and go wide open throttle... I'll post a separate thread on that one to see what I need to do to figure that one out: )

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks 289vert! Do you recommend teflon tape or a liquid thread sealant like permatex thread sealant with PTFE?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I've been trying to get away from tape. The Permatex stuff will be fine.
Lower the water level in the radiator to below the height of the plug first.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Agree with 289 vert on it..that's coolant but you'll have to drain the rad down a bit to a point lower than that fitting as coolant will rush out when you pull the plug out. You'll need to dry it and put some Permatex pipe sealant on it.
John

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, last weekend I drained coolant, sanded/painted the radiator, installed new hoses, and fixed the leak in the intake manifold. I used the high temperature permatex stuff. I let it dry for 4 days before refilling/running. Probably overkill for dry time, but I was too busy to do it any sooner. I've had the car through a few heat cycles now in the past weekend and it looks like the leak is fixed. Thanks everyone for the help!

Thanks,
Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts