Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of taking my 302 back to stock. It has a Ford Performance Shelby intake with Edelbrock Performer Carb, Cobra valve covers and a New Cobra Oval air Cleaner from Tony Branda.

I have the original 4300 carb and I found an intake manifold with the number C8ZE-9425A and a Date code of 7H30. My question is, would this be a 289 or a 302 intake? My engine is a 302 J code.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
The date code is a little early ( depending on the casting dates on your block and heads). But it is the correct intake for a J code 302. I'd go with it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The date code is a little early ( depending on the casting dates on your block and heads). But it is the correct intake for a J code 302. I'd go with it.
Thanks. I thought the date was early for my car built in February '68. More concerned about functionality than "numbers matching.

I know the date code for the heads are under the valve covers. Where is the date code for the block?

·
Registered
5,737 Posts

·
Registered
34,489 Posts
I am thinking of taking my 302 back to stock. It has a Ford Performance Shelby intake with Edelbrock Performer Carb, Cobra valve covers and a New Cobra Oval air Cleaner from Tony Branda.

I have the original 4300 carb and I found an intake manifold with the number C8ZE-9425A and a Date code of 7H30. My question is, would this be a 289 or a 302 intake? My engine is a 302 J code.

Thanks
The only reason the 68 4V manifold had a unique number was insignificant details changed for 68. But it is most certainly a 302 manifold, because there was no 68 289 4V. After 68, there was no 302 4V either.

And before some wag brings up the BOSS, that was a completely different engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts