Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35,478 Posts
If you're leaving everything stock, including the "log" exhaust manifolds, heads, etc., then by all means use the factory 4V intake... it's as good as an entry-level aluminum intake and without any improvements to the air flow potential of the heads will be perfectly fine. The only thing I WOULD do is consider selling off the Holley 600 and getting Summit M2008VS500 which will much better suit your stock configuration. Their "refurbs" can be purchased quite reasonably.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I looked tonight at the Summit 500, they have jacked the price $40 and had no refurbs.

I was going to pick one up and save the 1.08 4100 off my D-code 289.

Reactions: PA_cob

·
Registered
35,478 Posts
I looked tonight at the Summit 500, they have jacked the price $40 and had no refurbs.

I was going to pick one up and save the 1.08 4100 off my D-code 289.
Wait a couple weeks.... it'll probably change.... plus Summit usually has coupons!

·
Registered
232 Posts
In the weeds, but this is what I did about a year ago.

If you're leaving everything stock, including the "log" exhaust manifolds, heads, etc., then by all means use the factory 4V intake... it's as good as an entry-level aluminum intake and without any improvements to the air flow potential of the heads will be perfectly fine. The only thing I WOULD do is consider selling off the Holley 600 and getting Summit M2008VS500 which will much better suit your stock configuration. Their "refurbs" can be purchased quite reasonably.
My $0.02 = Went from an Edelbrock 750 CFM to the Summitt 500 CFM refurbished mentioned. Difference was night and day on a basically stock engine. Fires every time and seemingly reliable

My $0.05 = Regarding intake manifold, I figured at the time that if I replaced it, I'd likely create more problems from my DIY skills for a benefit that wouldn't exist.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Great, stuff to consider, Thanks so much. I think I'll start with cleaning up the old intake manifold and buying a 500cfm Summit. Thanks again

·
Registered
35,478 Posts
Great, stuff to consider, Thanks so much. I think I'll start with cleaning up the old intake manifold and buying a 500cfm Summit. Thanks again
Do some Googling on intake manifold replacement. There are a couple helpful hints, like cutting down 4 long bolts into "guide studs" to locate your gaskets and make it easier to simply drop the manifold in place. Also various perspectives on using RTV for end seals vs. original cork and the choices in intake gaskets. I, myself, like Victor-Reinz gaskets, cork end seals and sealant on the bolts. Everybody has their preference. Also, if you don't mind the cost of an extra set of gaskets and some Prussian blue, it won't hurt to check the port match between the intake and the cylinder heads and, if desired, to do a little gentle head work at the same time. You can stuff some Vaseline-impregnated paper towels in the ports and work a small magnet around after grinding to keep the filings to a minimum.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts