Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the bolts are out, I cant get it to move. Im guessing its been on for 10-12 years.

Any tips?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Get a dead blow hammer and give it a rap or two on the end.
If that doesn't work, see if you can gently pry one end of it up. Be careful where you pry, you don't want to break it.

If that doesn't work, see if you can get a gasket scraper between the head and manifold.
Work the scraper down the manifold to help break the gasket.
I had to do a little bit of prying to get mine to break loose. A little bit in the back, and a little up front did the trick.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Strongly depends what the PO used to “seal” the intake manifold.

As mentioned gently(!) prying can does the trick. I used the neck there the thermostat housing attaches. Not the housing itself. Putting something in between the manifold and the heads/block is the last resort. Be careful not to scratch anything or you have to go to a machine shop later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, used a BFH and a a screwdriver between the intake and head near #1, it popped right off.

Valve train and valley are very clean, looks like it was put together yesterday. Viton seals.

The rear cooling ports had quite a bit of gunk in them, I cleaned out what I could, Im going to have to get the shop vac to pull out what fell into the block, fronts are very clean.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I gather at this stage you have tried a number of addresses. Hard to what the person did that put it on but that’s what makes working on these cars “fun”. I have a stout putty knife in my box for these types of problems. What works for me is taking it slowing hammering it in at a number of spots around the intake an inch deep to break the seal.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Check the gasket surface where you pried it up for nicks before reassembly.

Reactions: Mustang4SF
1 - 7 of 7 Posts