Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66, 289, holley 4v street avenger, a/t and am looking for a new intake. Wich of these are the best match for me or any suggestions? I have a pretty stock eng and will I have to use the 1 inch Ford spacer? Edelbrock performer EDL-2121, Holley Street Dominator HLY-300-39, or Weiand action plus WND-8011.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have a Performer and it works well. I have read that some think it's only marginally better than a factory 4V. (I swapped from a 2V so I can't comment in this regard.) The Street Dominator is a very old design... and not a very good one at that. I have no experience with the Action Plus. All that said, I have read a number of times that the Performer RPM and Weiand Stealth, being newer designs, not only have more top end, but actually perform better at low rpms than the older Performer design. If ever you anticipate more power mods (new cam, for instance) you may want to plan for that now.

- Gord

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Weiand Stealth or Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap. With the air gap, it sits up higher so you probably could not use a one inch carb spacer due to hood clearance. Something to check.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have a 66, 289, holley 4v street avenger, a/t and am looking for a new intake. Wich of these are the best match for me or any suggestions? I have a pretty stock eng and will I have to use the 1 inch Ford spacer? Edelbrock performer EDL-2121, Holley Street Dominator HLY-300-39, or Weiand action plus WND-8011.
Hmm...
You already have a 4 barrel carb, what intake are you currently running and why do you want to change it?

Given minimal information (pretty stock eng, a/t) without insight to gearing, cam, heads, exhaust, and planned improvements makes it really hard to give a specific recommendation, so I will deal in generalities...

As previously stated, the performer and stealth manifolds are quite good for mild engines, although without more information about the rest of your setup it is hard to say if you will realize any noticeable improvement with either.

Any change from the stock intake manifold will cascade into a bunch of little sub projects dealing with linkages, vacuum lines, heat risers, and hood clearances. There is nothing magical about the 1 inch spacer Ford used, as long as you have a place to hook up your PCV valve (if present), you can get by with a 3/8ths inch phenolic spacer for most applications.

And now for a warning and a pet peeve: unless you have a good idea of what you want to end up with, you are likely to spend more money than necessary and end up with less performance than a well planned build. When you ask advice on this forum, you get input from people with wildly different goals, experiences and budgets... My pet peeve is the routine dismissal of the performer intake in favor of the performer RPM (with or without air gap). The right choice depends on the whole engine!

Sorry for the long winded answer to what you thought was a simple question... "Welcome lurker"!

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been very happy with the performer as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts