Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 69, 390 with a shaker scoop and I was just curious if an edelbrock performer would fit under the hood. I already bought it about five years ago before the thought ever crossed my mind that it might not fit. Has anyone used one?

·
Registered
233 Posts
On my '70 351W with Shaker, I am working this issue now.

I have found that the throttle mechanism of the Edelbrock 1406 interfers with the forward most of the two Shaker bracket attaching studs on the intake manifold. I have temporarily exchanged that stud with one of the intake bolts, and there is no interference with the fasteners. However the bracket itself will still interfer. I am sure it can be cut down in width to provide the needed clearance, but I really don't want to do that with an original and rare part.

I suppose I will try and fabricate some type of support bracket that only uses the rearmost intake stud. It is not a high stress area and only connects to the air cleaner for added stability.

I haven't gotten far enough yet to address the height question. Please keep me posted on any insights you may have.

Mountain Dew & Donuts, because breakfast is the most important meal of the day!

'66 Coupe 289 2V done for son
'70 Coupe 351W 4V (She Bear), doing for me

You don't have to be a rocket scientist, but it sure is fun being one

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Be very careful when dealing in mounting a SHAKER to anything other than stock applications. There were several different shaker bases (air cleaner housing) to accomodate each engine application offered with the shaker. I have one friend that mounted an aftermarket intake that raised the SHAKER so high, he could barely close the hood without doing damage to the seal. I don't think the Edelbrock Performer is much higher than your stock 390 intake, but fabricating a bracet for positioning the SHAKER is a must. I would definitely mount the SHAKER without the seal once the engine is positioned with intake installed to see how far the SHAKER sticks out of the hood. Ideally, the bottom lip of the scoop itself should be no more than an inch above the trim ring, anymore than that will damage the seal and put pressure around the scoop opening in the hood.

randy

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/bossbanner2.gif
http://www.bossman-motorsports.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts