Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the thinking stages of building a 331 roller motor 5 speed 370 gear.
Whats the better intake along with a cam/carb?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I run a RPM mated to a 670 SA carb. Runs good. I just need more gear as I have a 279 out back on the C4

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
...As to a cam, perhaps, the HIPO cam would be a good choice, are you running stock heads? The bigger picture would help. The carb/cam is going to depend on the heads, headers? Then you have the ignition curve and timing to consider.
Much depends on how far up the ladder you want ago.....

·
Dimples
5,393 Posts
Stock heads on a 331 would be a shame. Agreed with above on intake options, but we’ll need more info for cam/carb recommendations.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trick flow 170 heads 10to 1 compression at least and JBA shortie with there X pipe..I want at lest 400hp..

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,037 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Okay... I spent quite a bit on the engine dyno with my 331 last winter. We tried the S2ms, performer rpm, torker II and the later '67 Shelby manifold and finally settled on a performer rpm air gap that was ported and port matched.

The shelby manifolds are ok. The Torker II sucked. The performer rpm was lacking a bit on this motor.. I'd gladly reach for the air gap or step into one of the better single planes if you have the clearance. I'd never run the Torker II again on anything.

I've got copies of the AFR190's and they were ported and matched for more flow with some bowl cleanup (done on the CNC machine) and my motor made just a touch under 450hp.

It now has a Howards roller cam in it spec'd for it. Let me see if I can dig up the specs

Stroked SBF's like air flow. You can even see on engine masters that they lost nothing down low with the bigger heads.

Looking back I would have done three things differently. Gone right to 347ci as it cost the same to do as my 331, run AFR's 205 or 225 heads and gone straight to the ported air gap or maybe the vic jr. and just changed hoods. Would have saved me a few hundred bucks and made more power! Although 450 is about the limit for longevity on a factory 5.0L block..

·
Registered
67 Mustang 351w
49 Posts
Okay... I spent quite a bit on the engine dyno with my 331 last winter. We tried the S2ms, performer rpm, torker II and the later '67 Shelby manifold and finally settled on a performer rpm air gap that was ported and port matched.

The shelby manifolds are ok. The Torker II sucked. The performer rpm was lacking a bit on this motor.. I'd gladly reach for the air gap or step into one of the better single planes if you have the clearance. I'd never run the Torker II again on anything.

I've got copies of the AFR190's and they were ported and matched for more flow with some bowl cleanup (done on the CNC machine) and my motor made just a touch under 450hp.

It now has a Howards roller cam in it spec'd for it. Let me see if I can dig up the specs

Stroked SBF's like air flow. You can even see on engine masters that they lost nothing down low with the bigger heads.

Looking back I would have done three things differently. Gone right to 347ci as it cost the same to do as my 331, run AFR's 205 or 225 heads and gone straight to the ported air gap or maybe the vic jr. and just changed hoods. Would have saved me a few hundred bucks and made more power! Although 450 is about the limit for longevity on a factory 5.0L block..
"I've got copies of the AFR190's"

What do you mean by this?

·
Registered
67 Mustang 351w
49 Posts
I have aluminum heads from a company that casts and machines here that are almost identical to the AFR's...
Do you have flow numbers on those heads? I shopped around for heads other than AFR's, but the flow numbers didn't even come close, even with the same size intake runners, valves, etc.

·
Registered
582 Posts
JBA shortie with there X pipe..I want at lest 400hp..
Note that with a T5, the JBA X Pipe that matches the JBA 1650S shorty headers won't fit around the T5 cross member. I tried a few different cross members to get it to fit...no go. Ended up with their H-Pipe, which fit like a glove.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Note that with a T5, the JBA X Pipe that matches the JBA 1650S shorty headers won't fit around the T5 cross member. I tried a few different cross members to get it to fit...no go. Ended up with their H-Pipe, which fit like a glove.
Im going to cut the pipe at the weld before the X and add about 4” of stainless pipe..I didn’t like the H pipe..

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've got an Edelbrock Air Gap intake along with a Holley 650 Ultra Double Pumper on my 351w with Trick Flow aluminum heads and really like the combination. If you're looking for both, I'd think about going EFI and maybe looking at the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4? It comes with an intake and EFI

1 - 19 of 19 Posts