Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mustangs unlimited has a repro small block shaker assembly, and disregarding the historical innacuracy, I want to install one on my 1969 302.

My problem is this: I want to convert over to a 4v carb, and I'll be needing a new intake. I heard that some aftermarket intakes can cause clearance problems with shakers.

Does anyone have any suggestions here? I'm thinking of going with an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, but I'm not sure if a shaker will fit with it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I currently have use a Performer RPM on 351 Stroker w/Factory Shaker. I have used this intake & shaker with both factory heads & Rousch 2000's

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
With a 302 you'll have a little more room than say a 351W or 351C. On my 1970 351C car You have to be kind of picky. I installed a 351C shelby intake not thinking anything of it. The seal on the shaker allmost got ripped off.
I'd make sure that the adjustments are centered before measuring and cutting.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Sidewinder,

How much extra space did you need on the 351C Shelby intake? I have one that I was thinking about using, then ran into the height issue. I looked at the height of a 351W base, which is 1/2" less, and wondered if I could get away with that?

Carl

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, with a performer RPM on a 302, I shouldn't have much of a problem? (They're the same block, after all.)

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I think that you've miss understood. The shelby intake on the 351C is taller than the factory. It almost ripped the rubber seal away from the shaker.
Last time that I checked the 351W base was slightly taller than the cleveland. That would make it even worse. If you could cut a 1/2 inch off it probably would get by but still stick out more than normal. My guess would put the bottom of the shaker scoop opening about 1/4" above the hood with the 1/2 inch drop.
I have a shelby intake sitting around myself.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Wait a minute here... Just to clarify, I don't have a 351 of any kind. It's a 302W. I guess I'll just convert to the 4bbl carb, and leave it at that for now. I'd rather just have the 4bbl than have a misaligned shaker and a hole in my hood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts