Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Hmmm...a guy in our local club recently bought a '71 Mexican Shelby, but I've never heard of "standard" Mustangs from south of the border. :/

·
Registered
915 Posts
I love the speedometer. I know its in KMH. But change the speedo gear to match. Now you have a 200mph speedo.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
That is really neat! Anybody else notice the AC copressor in on the wrong side. Also the wiper fluid tank looks like it came that way, but is very different from the US versions.

Anyone with any history on the Mexican Mustangs?

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Yes, there was an assembly plant in Mexico. And, get this, the mexican government would not allow Fastbacks to be built!!
This is why the 69 "Shelby de Mexico" has those long roof flairings, to make it look like a fastback

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Yes there was an assembly plant there... as mentioned only coupes were built.

A few "Shelby" coupes were assemblied by a dealer down there (early ones had no real body modifications like the 69's) under an agreement with Shelby. And after the Shelbys ended here, they continued to build "Shelby" Mustangs, Mavericks and Galaxies for a year or two.

A fair amount of the Mexican coupes have found there way north in the last ten years.... more as oddities and something out of the nor at shows

1 - 6 of 6 Posts