1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Is there a reason why you don't post these in the for sale section? All these links are are ads... I'm not tryin' to start somethin', but I just don't quite get it...

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the reason is -I'M- not trying to sell them, I'm just commenting about them. If you don't like them, don't read them.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
This is a forum for ENTHUSIASTS! That means I live sleep and eat Mustangs ( and VW's :: ) I am ALWAYS interested in what my fellow VMFer has too say about what they find. It puts my car in perspective and I learn something new all the time. Thank you for showing us these cars. I for one, appreciate it! :D

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Because he's not selling it, duh. I second that I appreciate being clued in on any cars that look like they might be a good buy. I'm not sure I need to be directed to Ebay auctions, as they are easy enough to find, but ads like the one he posted here are always welcome as far as I'm concerned. You don't have to read them if you don't want to .

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Because he's not selling it, duh. I second that I appreciate being clued in on any cars that look like they might be a good buy. I'm not sure I need to be directed to Ebay auctions, as they are easy enough to find, but ads like the one he posted here are always welcome as far as I'm concerned. You don't have to read them if you don't want to .
Diddo. :p

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
All I see is you're mentioning a "GT" for sale... No comments other than that...

"Just mentioning it for sale"

"Just passing it along..."

"Just passing this along as well"

Now, if you want to contribute like you say... commenting on these cars, I'm all for it. But those 4 in the last 3 WEEKS were just "hey, look at this"... Hell, from the sounds of it if I didn't know any better, I'd say you were getting a commission on each sale!

I'm all for adding to the collective good of this forum, but c'mon... anyone can post a link!

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Gee, maybe he thinks we can decide for ourselves if it's a good car or not? ::
Afterall, he didn't go look at it so how much can he say?
I would never have seen this car if not for the fact that he posted it. If I was in the market for a car like this, his post would have been very helpful. As I am not, it still provides one more reference point to keep me abreast of the market...and you don't have to read it. I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

·
Registered
546 Posts
This is a forum for ENTHUSIASTS! That means I live sleep and eat Mustangs ( and VW's :: ) I am ALWAYS interested in what my fellow VMFer has too say about what they find. It puts my car in perspective and I learn something new all the time. Thank you for showing us these cars. I for one, appreciate it! :D
You eat BUGS?!?! That's disgusting! ::

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My posts are directed towards those individuals that have
a hard time finding a reasonably priced nice car or a reasonably priced RARE car. I have a number of methods for getting adds before hundreds of people see them. These are often on onscure websites that very few find by chance, therefore would never see. If you ever linked to my posted cars right after I posted them you will see that the adds have only had a few hits, maybe less than 5, always less than 50. That means a VMF'er has a fair shot at the car if I post it quickly and they check it out quickly. Hiding these cars in the For SALE section is wrong because it will not allow most VMF-ers to see them quick enough to be the first buyer. I also don't own them and it is not right for me to list them in the for sale section because I feel there is an apearance of impropriety in doing so. I've done it in the past and it has caused problems. (I get asked questions like "how much will you take for it" when I post them there even though I am not selling the car and don't own it)

I would want ANYONE to post/let me know/e-mail me/call me about ANY good deal within 100 miles of me! For those of you that already have your "quota" of Mustangs, yes these posts may seem tedious, but for those that don't have the Mustang of our dreams we are invovled in a constant search and can use all of the help we can get. My posts also clearly state in the heading what they are about. ANYONE can skip right on past them if they don't like that type of post. I personally have no interest in doing a 5spd conversion, therefore I skip past all posts that reference that topic! See how easy that is?? I surely don't go and open each one up and criticise the contents because that may not be MY cup of tea. So for all of you VMF'ers that have a garage full of Mustangs and have no interest whatsoever in buying another, please feel free to skip right past my "heads-up" posts. For all others, enjoy and good luck in your hunt! ::

Oh, and for the record, no I get no commisions from any of these cars, but you knew that didn't you?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I have a number of methods for getting adds before hundreds of people see them. These are often on onscure websites that very few find by chance, therefore would never see. If you ever linked to my posted cars right after I posted them you will see that the adds have only had a few hits, maybe less than 5, always less than 50. That means a VMF'er has a fair shot at the car if I post it quickly and they check it out quickly.
So, if I create an ad to sell MY car and upload it to a secure site where no one else can see it yet, then can Richelieu log into the VMF Discussion Board and post a link to the ad for ME as well???? Or should I just email you direct with my link? ::

Hiding these cars in the For SALE section is wrong because it will not allow most VMF-ers to see them quick enough to be the first buyer.
So, we should do away with the seperate "For Sale" sections, and just let everybody post anything they want on the main Discussion Board? Everybody would "see them quicker" that way...

I also don't own them and it is not right for me to list them in the for sale section because I feel there is an apearance of impropriety in doing so. I've done it in the past and it has caused problems. (I get asked questions like "how much will you take for it" when I post them there even though I am not selling the car and don't own it)
So, if the seller wants VMF exposure for their add, send them a link to the site. Let them PAY bob the same $5 that other legitimate sellers on this site have to pay. You'd be doing VMF a much greater favor this way by helping to generate revenue to support the site.

My posts also clearly state in the heading what they are about. ANYONE can skip right on past them if they don't like that type of post.
Once again, does this mean we should eliminate all the seperate classified sections? As long as the header says "For Sale", there's no need for seperate sections anymore. Continuing the "don't read it" idea, I guess all the O/T (PNW) & private forums ;) can be eliminated also, and combined into one extremely large, extremely noisy room.

Face it, you're posting classified ads in the Main Forum. "Justify" it however you wish, but it's still a classified ad. Clutter and garbage like this remind me how much better this place used to be.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
oh geez would you give it a rest already...My sons mother is dead in the grave at the age of 39. Be happy your alive and enjoy your mustang. Don't worry about what who is doing with what and why.. Your life will never be affected by the "ads" so who gives a flying monkey biscuit!!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Hey, nobody FORCED you to read my response, did they? ;)

Some posters seem to exist only to suck up bandwidth - ads, "look at me" posts, nonsensical polls (multiple versions), worthless "I hate clones" replies. Does the shoe fit?
As far as what affects "my life" - I've spent 7+ years watching this forum change (not always for the better), how about you? ::

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The simple fact that there are 189 looks at this post already should answer the question about whether it is relevant or not. Ignore the elitists on this board and keep posting. I and 188 others appreciate it.

Mark

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
FYI, post views have nothign to do with the number of people actually reading a thread... it could only be 5 people, reading it multiple times... It could be one person going in and out of his own thread many times, just to increase the count.

And the elitist barb was rather uncalled for, I think.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You and oldrusty could make beautiful music together IF you guys ever get your heads out of your own asses. Bob charges a fee for people to post cars/parts for sale for a reason. TO HELP KEEP THE SITE RUNNING. You know bandwidth isn't free? :: I don't know what fairy boat you floated in on but I wish it'd depart and take your punkass with it. You've spouted nothing but harsh words and stupidity since you came here. Another reason this poor forum has gone down the crapper. :(

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Another reason this poor forum has gone down the crapper.
Clutter and garbage like this remind me how much better this place used to be.
Ah, the "back in the day" nostalgia. Did you also walk to school in the snow uphill both ways back when the forum was "good"? I guess when you were newbies, you knew it all already and only posted on "correct" topics (whatever they are on an open forum). Too bad having a site that people use makes it bad! :p I guess you're advocating closing the site to new users and eliminating users whose posts you disagree with? Start your own if you think this one is so bad! Personally, I find it a great reference and appreciate Bob's (and others) efforts on behalf of the hobby.

The forum is open, and most posts/requests to restrict content to "Mustang specific" issues have been rejected. And even if they were enforcement becomes a problem as its someones time and effort to define "correct" post content, monitor the messages and delete "off topic" posts. So you end up with stupid scam alerts (duh, a $400 Shelby is a scam, how unusual) off topic posts (which seem to get more replies than specific Mustang related posts) and host of other tangential info.

IMHO I like to see the post on cars others find out there. It's not a "for sale" ad, just info on what's out there, its Mustang reated, and topical. It helps keep me aware of trends in the market, and what is available. And may help those with the "whats' it worth" posts as it give them a reference. A simple source here, rather than tracking all over the web looking for info.

If the subject doesn't interest you, don't read it!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have enjoyed every post by olddustyrelics including his for sale ads. I respect what he has to say because I have seen his work, and he speaks from years of experience. If everyone on this site contributed half as much as he does, this would be a better place. Please keep posting old, and do not listen to the naysayers.

Lstar

1 - 20 of 21 Posts