Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yesterday talking with my bud who owns a 66 we wgot to talkign about my tranny. i told him that my shift pattern was unlike any id seen before on a mustang being that reverse is up and over to the left, not the normal down and left. So he tells me that is not a ford transmission. It didnt hit me till then that it had a weird shift pattern. So has anyone heard of a ford 4 speed tranny with reverse over and up to the left? It has a hurst shifter, tomorrow im gonna take the numbers off it and see if i can dig anythign up, just wanted to see if im wrong about it not being ford tranny, or whether im just ignornant in the area of ford transmissions? TIA

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had a toploader in mine with a Hurst comp/plus shifter....reverse was left/forward....i think it's the way the lever mounts pointing up on the tranny for the hurst pattern....the ford 4 speed shifter would be different, and the reverse lever on the tranny would probably point down....

·
Registered
10,595 Posts
Reverse being left-up is pretty common for a Ford Toploader with a Hurst stick. My 71 has the original Hurst shifter and the t-handle with the shift pattern. Reverse is left-up. I believe only the 65~69 cars with the original Ford shifter were left-down.

http://www.429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/shifter1.jpg

Most aftermarket Hurst shifters are also left-up.

Hurst Catalog

·
Registered
431 Posts
Did you ever identify what tranny you have?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, im going to work ont he car a little later today and when i do ill get the casting numbers off it and repost. i didnt think i had a top loader....MAYBE I DO?!?! :D

·
Registered
10,526 Posts
It is likely a Borg Warner T10 if it is a 4 speed otherwise it will be a Ford T&C 3 speed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts