Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 66 Fastback a couple of weeks ago. First Mustang since high school 20 years ago. Once in love, always in love.

Anyway, after looking at all the repairs needed to the front inner fenders, shock towers, and cowl, I saw myself spending a lot of time with a drill bit and a welder alone in the garage. And then Saturday, went to the junkyard and what did I find? A totally restored car that had been hit hard in the rear. Got to talking to the guy at the yard and ended up buying "half" the car. I'm sure the wife will be happy when I tell her I'm going to cut my car in half and weld on a new one.

Any of you guys do such a thing???

Thanks

Live hard and fast or you might miss something

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
It's been done, but I've never did anythink like that so I can't comment too much on the subject. From what I've seen in magazines, you'll have to drill out the spotwelds and match the two together. I would suggest before you do anything on the car(s) do a lot of research and read up. If done incorrectly, you'll end up with a VERY unsafe car!

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575517&a=11977890&p=44194856.jpg

Hale Boppe comet shot off my roof. See you can use 100 iso at night with no flash!

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I can only imagine how to do such a thing. I would think that you should remove your inner fenders at the firewall, and remove the front frame rails. I think you're gonna have to fix your cowl.

Coppertone's current condition:
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/coppertone2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That picture above (well, not RIGHT above, but up there above that) is what it looks like when somebody welds two unibodies together to make a duobody and it falls apart on the freeway at night.

Just kidding! If you have alot of welding and engineering knowledge, have at it. Sounds like mucho work, though. Keep us posted on your progress.

Dan
Be a good dad to your kids and phone your mom twice a week...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589115&a=12097562&p=43884454.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy at the salvage yard said it was about an eight hour job. The car will be cut at the windsheild posts, and just behind the front seat boxes. That way, your in between the frame rails. Actually, should be a lot easier than drilling out 200 spot welds to fix the cowl

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If you cut right behind the front seat brace you will be cutting straight through the inner and outer rockers. That is the main source of strength for your unibody. It might be better to go completely back to the rear inner fenders and cut along the rear floor board so as to keep the rockers intact. Just an unprofessional opinion. Personally, I think I would rather drill and weld 200 spots than deal with cutting, loading, hauling and then bracing, cutting, matching and welding and then hoping to get a nice fit. IMHO.

THE NINETY-NINETY RULE OF PROJECT SCHEDULES...
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time. The last 10% of the project takes the other 90%.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clipping a fastback will destroy the resale value of the car. the only reason you should clip is if there is sever damage to the front that cannot be straightened on a frame machine.

i think it would be idiotic(sorry for the bluntness) to do this to a car that just needs cowl and inner fender repair.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not just cowl and inner fender problems. Both shock towers would also have to be replaced. One of the front frame rails has already been replaced by someone with no clue in welding. Radiator support shot. May be other areas as well.
Gave up looking at all the problems

Planning on keeping the car forever anyway.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'd suggest you get just those parts off the other car then and not clip the car down the middle.

if you do the job right you'll have a much safer car in the end and the resale value will be preserved.

Charles Turner
'65 Fastback

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know if the inner fenderwells are welded or bolted in. At work now so I can't check. Shock towers are welded I know. Anything else that I would have to drill out to get off the other car?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
inner fenders are spot-welded, but you could separate a large 'chunk' of the front end and weld it in in the same locations done by the factory.

for instance, you could leave the inner fenders(front and back) attached to the shock towers and then put these on your fastback like that.

if it were my car I would only be welding in areas where sheetmetal originally came together on the car and I would try to leave as much of the original metal as possible.

Charles Turner
'65 Fastback

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we're talking about the inner fenders on a mustang... you know, the 2 pieces of metal on either side of the shock towers... yes, there are bolts up top, but those are to hold the coil spring cover in place, not the inner fenders.

shoulda read my post first /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Charles Turner
'65 Fastback

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi, why not put the frame rails and inner fenders, shock towers all in one piece then all you would have to fix is the cowl and you would have the pieces at your desposal from the donor car. John

Opal frost pearl metallic 67 coupe http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/febef75b01.JPG
also have a 95 opal frost pearl G/T BOSS edition convertible belongs to swmbo

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
May I suggest saving your car's original front fender aprons as much as possible? These have the VIN on it and if you weld another 'Stangs front apron on you'll have a different VIN. I wish the PO of my garage shelf saved the front apron where the VIN was. Now I don't have a visible VIN...

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will be saving the VIN number on the inner fenders I currently have as they do match the one on the door plate. I was thinking of cutting the VIN numbers off the donor fenders and rewelding my VIN number in their place.

1966 Fastback - in a million pieces - wait a minute - where are the floors???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts