Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to change up my 67s interior, it's way too dark and cave like. I suspect the black headliner is to blame, especially with tinted windows.

However I really do like a black interior with all the chrome and aluminum. I was thinking of just putting in a white headliner, but I am unsure how the combo would actually look. Does anyone have any pictures of this? I cant seem to find any.

The car is a darker medium blue. I was also thinking a parchment interior but I prefer the look of black against the aluminum panels. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
I don't think a white headliner would look good with that at all. The black interior with the aluminum panels and chrome in the appropriate places looks very sleek and machine like to me. If I had a 67 or 68 oh, this would be done! Maybe some Tastefully done LED lighting...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I had come across someone mentioning white was standard no matter the rest of the interior but I wasnt able to verify it. I also cant find any photos of it which makes me think it's not accurate. But the idea was interesting.

Might have to play around with things, see if I cant a balance.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
My '66 has black standard, too. I've got deluxe gauge bezel and glove box doors to break it up a bit and I'm thinking of brown carpet but, like you, I'd like to see it done before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
White and parchment is an interesting idea, would work well on a yellow car. Recon with a blue car the exact shade would effect a lot.

Brown carpet with a black interior could work depending on the shade. I would think the interior would need a pinch of brown elsewhere to tie it together. Maybe wood on the steering wheel or dash.

Well, looks like I need to play with photoshop then. Probably wouldn't hurt to install smoked glass instead of that factory green tint with a smoke tint over that.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
337 Posts
TMI has many different vinyls that you can potentially do custom colors to get the look you like.
Then head over to ACC to look at custom carpet colors.
Both of these companies will send samples so you can get the match you like.
I too have blue car. I considered a light interior for it, some shade of tan or white because I live in AZ.
Ended up going with grey after many samples and comparing it to the paint.
In my case, I decided to upgrade the interior to a more modern look while keeping some of the classic features in the look.
TMI can do almost anything you want. They also sell all their vinyl by the yard.
Another option is a local upholstery shop for custom work.
Here is what I choose. It will probably be installed in the next month.

Here is a TMI interior that CJ's did in a Blue car using a dark beige? interior.

Attachments

Reactions: CaptainAwesome67

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
White and parchment is an interesting idea, would work well on a yellow car. Recon with a blue car the exact shade would effect a lot.

Brown carpet with a black interior could work depending on the shade. I would think the interior would need a pinch of brown elsewhere to tie it together. Maybe wood on the steering wheel or dash.

Well, looks like I need to play with photoshop then. Probably wouldn't hurt to install smoked glass instead of that factory green tint with a smoke tint over that.

Thanks for the help
When I said that I had the Deluxe guage bezel and glove box door I thought it was understood that those are wood grain. So, I was thinking that a carpet of roughly that shade would complement. But I don't really know if it would work. I tried to use the Behr paint "paint a room" simulator, downloading an image of a black Mustang interior, but that didn't work at all, LOL! If someone would photoshop these combos, that would be great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, there goes some future money. Those seats are very nice, I was happy with what I had but now I want to upgrade, ha.

That shade of blue is actually pretty close to what I'm redoing mine in, never would have thought a brown interior could work so well in it. Course if I'm being honest I think the yellow on the outside might be needed to make everything pop like that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I said that I had the Deluxe guage bezel and glove box door I thought it was understood that those are wood grain. So, I was thinking that a carpet of roughly that shade would complement. But I don't really know if it would work. I tried to use the Behr paint "paint a room" simulator, downloading an image of a black Mustang interior, but that didn't work at all, LOL! If someone would photoshop these combos, that would be great.
Whoops, my mistake. 67 deluxe interiors are brushed aluminum, so that's where my head was at.

I think if you had the same tone or maybe a little bit darker that it would work pretty well. I've seen some nice black and brown interiors, little bit of cream goes a long ways too. Maybe I can find a picture.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Quick and dirty 65/66 brown carpet photoshop:

65-brown-carpet.jpg

I can't comment much on colors. My interior is turquoise on aqua with turquoise carpet. The light aqua blue headliner is nice though. Almost like a permanent blue sky above my head. Not sure how that'd work with black though.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Quick and dirty 65/66 brown carpet photoshop:

View attachment 726334

I can't comment much on colors. My interior is turquoise on aqua with turquoise carpet. The light aqua blue headliner is nice though. Almost like a permanent blue sky above my head. Not sure how that'd work with black though.
That's what I'm talking about!! Very cool and it looks very convincing. I'll have to show that to the ol' lady and see what she thinks. But I like it. Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
That's what I'm talking about!! Very cool and it looks very convincing. I'll have to show that to the ol' lady and see what she thinks. But I like it. Thanks a lot!!

This is mine a bit more traditional - I agree all black makes for very dark interior like my Mach 1.

Attachments

Reactions: CaptainAwesome67

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's pretty sharp looking!

The 67 deluxe interior seems to be a bit more busy. I really like 2 tone interiors but with the brushed aluminum it's almost like a 3 tone interior if you do it more than a single color. Maybe black and a dark blue would work.

Anyone have any good galleries of interiors? I didnt see a topic for it and google images misses a lot.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Hey Magnus, if you happen to find the time, could you possibly do the photoshop thing again using the "saddle" color carpet? I'd like to see something closer to the color of the glove box wood grain.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not what you asked for, but it has a white headliner and I think it looks pretty sharp - this is a dark blue fastback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Not what you asked for, but it has a white headliner and I think it looks pretty sharp - this is a dark blue fastback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a good looking interior, now I see the complaint about the TMI, boy they took the pole position to tag their product, that would be unacceptable to me, I guess people are ok with it - for me its definitely TMI - Too Much Information bordering on vandalism if I didn't know ahead of time!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
That interior reminds me of my first Mustang; A '65, 2+2. It had white seats with a white lower dash and white interior panels in the back with black dash pad, carpet and door inserts. I liked it pretty well.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I hesitated to ask you to do that for me again, but you seemed to provide it so quickly that I assumed that it wasn't too much trouble. Thank you, sir. I appreciate it!

I'm thinking that the darker looks better. Opinions?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts