Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am nearing the completion of a project that included installing a 66 harness into my 65 to convert the instrument cluster to pony style. The harness (midlife) and gauges are both from a 66. I will also add that I installed a rally pack which is tied in to the driver side courtesy light jamb switch. The clock, tachometer, and lights all work as they should. The problem I am having is the interior lights (under dash and two rear) remain on constantly as long as the battery is connected. I will also note that the glove box door works properly, turning on and off with the switch. I have tested the two door jamb switches and installed a new headlight switch even though I believed the existing one was good. I have double checked the wiring as best as I could, but it was a pretty straight forward install and I’m having trouble imagining where I could have gotten crossed up. These lights of course did not behave this way before the conversion.

The oil, temperature, and fuel gauges also don’t work, but I have installed a new CVU and hope that will solve that issue, won’t know for sure until I put it back together. I’d be grateful for any leads to help figure this out, My electrical troubleshooting skills are really poor. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If post 2 doesn't help then disconnect the rally pack and see if the problem goes away. It could be a short in the rally pack or miss-wiring.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Headlamp switch is not turned on. I have not tried with the rally pack disconnected. I will give that a try and report back.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The headlamp switch does not have to be turned on. Just twist it counter-clockwise all the way till it clicks. This will turn on the dome light. Twist it back clockwise to turn the dome light off.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no console.

Rufus, you fixed it! I thought the switch turned the courtesy lamps off when turned fully to the counter clockwise position, and turned them on with a dimmer when rotated clockwise. Boy do I feel like a fool, I spent the whole day scratching my head on that one. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts