Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving the resto-modded 66 coupe the last couple days. The only thing inside upholstery wise is the driver seat. I've found that the driveshaft tunnel gets hot- not warm but hot. The dual exhaust was recently installed and runs down the tunnel-hence the heat. This restomod is also 350+ HP with 2 1/4" pipes. Is this normal and is not noticable once the complete interior is in?
Has anybody else noticed this before.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Even with insulation and carpet, the tunnel in mine gets pretty warm. It'll melt all the ice out of a drink in about 30 minutes! I would imagine that a bare tunnel would get hot.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a dynamat type product and insulation. Would you put the dynamat product down 1st. It seems like an asphalt type product.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Where can I get the dynamat product, and do you know how much it will cost me? I am having a similar issue.

Thanks,
Tosh

·
Registered
692 Posts
You can buy Dynamat without the printed logo at McMaster Carr. Search for part # 9709T19. It is $12.79 for a 32"x54" sheet. I used 5 sheets in my car (2 layers on the doors and 1 layer on all the floor boards). Then I covered it with 1/2 carpet jute from Home Depot. The car is much quiter now.

·
Registered
489 Posts
After I POR-15'd my floor, I used that aluminum/jute insulator/heat shield when I changed out my carpet. Then I put on that rubber/asphault insulator kit that lots of the Mustang shops sell over the top of it. It definitely cut out the heat and the interior noise dropped dramatically.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I agree with the dyno mat idea, that is what i am doing in my 65' fastback. Only i am using a diffrent product, it is called brown bread. I have read a few reviews in some car audio mags that show that this stuff is a little better than dynomat, and a whole lot cheaper! I will be doing my whole interior (firewall to taillights, doors everything) and figure it will only be about $200 - $300. Here is the web site:

http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

Good luck and let us know how it turns out,
Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts