Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do a bit of work on the interior of my 65 refresh the dash paint.
Is the paint from these places an acceptable option.
Have you used it.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
This is what I used and what I would recommend from NPD. It’s lacquer like the original and mixed to the factory paint code. This is the link for 67 Ivy Gold interior but you can look up your year and color.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I used the Seymour brand sold through NPD with great results.

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had success with the following Scott Drake AccuMatch L-5757 White paint from Summit for my 1966 Mustang. I gather many sites would sell the same match paint. My issue was the car was inherited with a lighter white glossy paint. So this more darker satin finish paint seemed to match the rest of the interior. Left a beautiful finish. I used 1.5 cans to put down two coatings on the dash & cosmetics. Keep the tip clean and the can upright. Good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had success with the following Scott Drake AccuMatch L-5757 White paint from Summit for my 1966 Mustang. I gather many sites would sell the same match paint. My issue was the car was inherited with a lighter white glossy paint. So this more darker satin finish paint seemed to match the rest of the interior. Left a beautiful finish. I used 1.5 cans to put down two coatings on the dash & cosmetics. Keep the tip clean and the can upright. Good luck.

View attachment 741088

View attachment 741092
Looks good

·
Registered
346 Posts
I agree with, "vegasloki". I have used NYPD interior and exterior rattle can paint on my car several times over the 26 years that I have owned my car. Great paint.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
As everyone else said, go to NPD. I will also testify that it turns out great.

·
Registered
35,922 Posts
A always get my paint locally from my auto paint store. They'll mix a pint for me (they'll actually do 4oz touchup bottles, too) or load an aerosol can.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Wow! Those are some custom kick-panels... Did you make them yourself or get them from a vendor?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I can only speak for their black color but the NPD paint matches so well that I could not tell where I touched up some kicks on my original dash paint. That paint is not faded either, it's in excellent conditions. So it's a nearly perfect match. I also painted with their spray cans my inside doors, and back panels with it on self-etching primer. Came out great.

·
Vendor
3,877 Posts
Very gratifying to see the good reviews regarding our lacquer and SEM paints. Many years ago we did the same thing that most other suppliers did... Bought all our paints from a company that specialized in the restoration market.

What we discovered was, the colors were rarely "spot on" (or even close in some cases), and ALSO, the supplier was friggin' short-filling the cans!! We had already opened discussions with a local automotive paint supplier about researching/matching original colors and providing us paint, and they discovered (from the sample cans we provided to them) that we were only getting maybe 8-9 ounces of material loaded into our 12-ounce cans! Have you ever thought of WEIGHING your spray cans when you receive them?? Well, Caveat Emptor LOL... ;)

Anyhow, we teamed up with our local supplier, and developed our own proprietary line of paints. And man, since that day, it's been a blessing. Not to mention, you actually get a full can LOL :) . Prior to that, paints were a royal pain, and a source of plenty of complaints regarding matches, and "duds", and so-on.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow! Those are some custom kick-panels... Did you make them yourself or get them from a vendor?

The kick panels came with the auto in 2018 and probably fabricated from a previous owner. Their made of a formed particle board with what appears a fiberglass finish. The pic shown is of the panels before they were prepped and painted. The car has too many customized goods like console, rear lid and trunk that made me think they were all fabricated.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Rick, that is a fascinating solution and explanation! Back in the late 70's I worked in the parts dept at a large ford dealer and the interior spray paint was still available for my 66 int code 25 car. Now I can't swear to it because it has been so long ago but it seems even the oem ford color was a little more burgundy and darker than what I was spraying over. I did the complete interior back then and it is what the car has on it now..At car shows I am always looking at everyone else's code 25 interiors..I will hit you all up if and when I ever decide to pull it apart one more time to get this popular color from you! I wonder if I can get a quart and spray it with a gun vs rattle cans. Not sure what color the op needs, but I bet it's not black :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts