Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to repaint the top of the inside door metal panel which is black. Can anyone suggest the proper shade or brand of black paint. I plan to use spray paint. Thanks

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
If you're repainting it black then don't worry about shade. Any parts store has rattle-can paint. just get gloss black with the fan type spray nossle. This type nossle will spray more even with less runs. I sprayed my interior with spray cans & it looks fine.

Lancaster, South Carolina
66 Coupe, 302, Auto, 3.25 gears. [color:red]Candyapple Red</font color=red> with White Pearl Stripes. Cragars.
http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek

G

·
0 Posts
NPD sells the proper black for 65 in a spray can. It works great if you sand the surface a little first with auto sanding paper.

James

1965 convertible "White Pony", my own lesson in mechanical humility
1968 coupe "Jedstang" for the soon to be 16 y/o boy

G

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't recommend sanding the interior of the doors. Since the metal is grainy if you sand it you make the whole thing smooth and you remove a lot of the effect. When I worked on my doors I put on paint stripper to help remove the paint and then scraped it off with a putty knife. Then I used a wire brush on the end of my drill to get into the grooves to get all the paint off.

Some people do not recommend using primer before the paint, since it will fill in the graininess too and it won't show up as well under the paint. So I'd just say to strip the paint off to the metal and then paint it with the paint others have recommended.

1967 coupe with vinyl top. 351W engine with C-4. Work in progress.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts