Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends 66 is stripped to a mere shell, completely gutted, and we are going to paint it. I figure this is the perfect time to paint the interior with something other than the rattle can paint sold at the local mustang parts place. Is the black supposed to be flat black? semi-flat? gloss? or ? This is the doors and dash. I figured it would look great the have the vintage burgancy exterior color pointed in the interior as well, with white pony upholstery. My buddy didn't go for it, rats! Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
The correct finish is a satin (semi-flat) black for the 66 interior. I'm sure someone will give you the correct PPG number for the proper paint.

That having been said - Ford originally finished these interiors in a very thinly-applied lacquer - and a facsimile of that (re-formulated for current EPA rules) is what the vendors will sell you in a rattle can for about six bucks.

If the car is a daily or occasional driver, though - and not a concours show car, I recomend you forget going to the trouble of shooting the interior with your paint gun. I know the purists are gonna flame me for this, but plain old Krylon 1613 is a near perfect match. If applied judiciously (especially over embossed door and interior quarter panels), it takes a very well-trained eye to be able to tell the difference between the 1613 and Ford's original lacquer.

Add to that the benefits of low-cost (3 bucks), easy availability (any Wal Mart), for the inevitable touch ups you'll need , and I believe it is the perfect solution.

That is just my opinion, though...

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I went through this issue with the 66 Fastback (lots of surfaces to paint) and after a number of tests with all different kinds of paint, including the Mustang vendor lacquer, I settled on the Krylon 1613. It has the right properties (similar to the lacquer) but is much less expensive and easier to use.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ditto what BernieFrank said..........same exact experience I had. The Mustang parts guys stuff is too glossy compared to the original.........

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your reply. This is exactly what I needed to learn. I used the semi-flat black rattle can for my engine compartment. It's holding up pretty well. I'll go with that for the coupe's interior.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for that voice of experience. I appreciate your taking the time to share the wisdom. I'll go with the Krylon.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glen, as always it's great to hear from you. Glad to see you are still checking in here. No one is flaming your Krylon 1613. In fact, there is a ringing endorsement of the product. I am going to skip the PPG/Dupont route and use the Krylon. It's the same product I used in my engine compartment and it is holding up pretty well. Take care of yourself!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input. The total agreement on this product is incredible. Rarely have I seen such lack of differing opinion on an issue here. It gives me a lot of confidence to use the product for the interior.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah ha, one semi-dissenting voice. (smile) I was beginning to think the forum lost its edge. That's great information to keep around for reference. Since the buddy who owns the car is getting a little relunctant to drag out his wallet, I'll go with the Krylon. If I happen to be doing a concourse restoration of one of MY cars . . . . .

Thanks for the great info and for taking the time to communicate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts