Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I should have investigated a little more.... Since I don't really plan on any real showing of my car when its done. I'm going more of a restomod direction on my 68 vert... I decided that I was going to kinda two-tone my interior along with the deluxe panels etc.(68 interior not as fancy as previous yrs) I'm going Candy apple red on the ouitside so I thought black seats, dash pad, door panels with a red (metal) dash , console, and dye part of the inserts on the deluxe door panels. give kind of a wrap around effect. Wanted kind've of a red red..... check all the suppliers sales books and they listed "Dark Red". OK.... so I decided I'd stick with correct colors for 68. supplier #1 sends paint....dark red.( I had bought a restored steering wheel paint doesn't match wheel,I assume they used wrong color on wheel) I go ahead and paint column, glove box etc. when doing dash ,had a few areas that wanted to lift... ok..... had some stuff to get from supplier #2 so order some more paint to redo dash..... different color! What! this one has far more metallic in it! Ok I'll just get more. had stuff to get from supplier #3 Order paint also.... ( you can guess whats coming) wrong! Low and behold paint gets here and it's Red.... the Red I had in mind to begin with..( matches Steering wheel).. Anyway..... Where there 3 different Reds available in 68 for interior colors? This is getting funny now and I have nothing better to do than repaint everything again! Anybody Know the correct color for 68 ..... Red......Dark Red.... Both?

Ken
99 GTP
97 Yukon
68 GT convert

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Just looked at NPD's Catalog, they list 2 reds. Have to check my shop book at lunch. If no answers by then, I'll post back.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
This is what I found for 1968:
Group 1, factory trim code 2D 5D 6D,7D,8D,9D all use Dark Red Irid R/M #5792R
Group 2, factory trim code 2D 5D 6D,7D,8D,9D all use Dark Red Irid R/M #5732R
Group 3 factory trim code 2D 5D 6D,7D,8D,9D all use Dark Red R/M #5732R
Difference between group 2 & 3 ? same paint number different description????

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm... the whole thing has me a little baffled.... Mustangs unlimited doesn't even show "Dark Red" all they list is Red? the 1st paint I used had little if any metallic and the second one lots of metallic so much so the color was 1-2 shades lighter..... If these suppliers don't know what there doing how are we suppose ta match anything up? Thanks for your help! I'm not sure what to do now?
Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts