Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've read through past threads about interior painting and what products to use, but those were a few years back and I'm not sure if there are new projects or tips out there so I thought I'd just do a new post. I need help on exactly what products I need and exactly what process to follow.

I am planning on painting both the metal and plastic interior pieces of my car soon. I think I need different products for the plastic v. metal?

For the metal pieces - I'm planning on painting the rear panels along the bench seat, the metal portion of the dash and my doors. I already have wire hand brushes and Ospho because I need to get tiny little rust spots off of the metal panels before I can paint. I've tested a small portion and it is seeming like if I wipe Ospho on the metal then gently wire brush over it I'm getting the rust off. Doesn't seem to be damaging the grain. So unless I hear any objections, I think I'll continue with that first process on the rest of the rear panels, dash and doors. I also have 2 rattle cans of the AccuMatch interior paint from CJPP (I know I"ll need more cans, just not sure how many). I do NOT yet have stripper, acetone or primer. Which brands of those products should I get and what is the process I should use them in?

For the plastic/vinyl - I'm planning on trying to paint most of these items as well to save some money. If I screw them up I can always order new ones. I also already have 2 rattle cans of the AccuMatch interior dye (and yes I'll need more cans of this dye, too). I'm planning on painting the side kick panels, the visors, the door panels, and dash pad. Just need to know if I need any more products for these items and also what process to follow.

I'm a newbie with all car related things so elementary language and detailed descriptions would be much, much appreciated.

Thanks all!

-Sea

Attachments

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
I just sprayed my door panels. While most people just point and shoot the rattle can and call it good, it's best to do a LOT of prep. The plastic and vinyl spray isn't really dye. It's a flexible coating. If the surface isn't clean and prepped, it likely won't stick very well.

So, for vinyl, to make the coating stick better and look better, first scrub it with SEM soap and a gray Scotchbrite pad. Use a lot of the soap and scrub thoroughly. Then spray some water on the surface and wipe it down with a clean rag. Do this at least twice. You'll be astonished at how much grime comes off!

Then spray with SEM vinyl prep and wipe in one direction with a clean, damp cloth. (Getting it damp helps to cut down on lint.) This stuff softens the vinyl and helps the coating to stick better.

Then hang your door panels or other vinyl pieces and carefully spray on the coating with at least a 50% overlap. Shoot the first coat lightly; no need to for complete coverage. Then shoot on another light coat. Shoot on at least three coats. Keep the coats light to prevent runs.

Anyway, this worked really well for me. I sprayed white door panels black and I'm pretty happy with the results. Of course, I just did it last weekend so I have no idea how long it will last.

Have fun!

·
Registered
9,913 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Thanks! It was planned as a few week interior clean up that morphed into a seven month floor panels and gutting of the cab. These old cars just do that.

OP, hit more pics in the thread and the peoples can give you more detailed advice on how to proceed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
While your project turned out great, I won't be using a gun. Even if I wanted to spend the money on that equipment I'm working without a garage or shed so extra tools/equipment right now isn't an option. Nice work on yours though!
Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. You can get the primer in a rattle can. When I had to prime my steering wheel restoration I used a single stage epoxy rattle can. The color on the interior is from a rattle can. The color is a dead nuts match. I used this NPD/Seymour lacquer blend. https://www.npdlink.com/1965-1973-mustang/accessories/paint/interior-paint-metal-plastic-vinyl-1967?year=1967 Mine is Light Ivy Gold Metallic though the link takes you to the page with all the colors. The previous post is the SEM material and I hear that is good as well. You can't go wrong with either and it's all available in a rattle can.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I hope my interior turns out even nearly as well as yours did. I'll be going from ivy gold to black. Your interior looks amazing. Well done and thanks for the links. I think I'll be ordering these products.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I did the Ivy Gold to black change. Every part was stripped, primed with the appropriate SEM product and top coated with Seymour interior lacquer. With the proper primer, you can use the same topcoat on everything but the soft trim (i.e. seats, headliner, dash pad etc.). My interior has held up extremely well. The quality of your end product will depend on the quality of your prep work. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! It was planned as a few week interior clean up that morphed into a seven month floor panels and gutting of the cab. These old cars just do that.

OP, hit more pics in the thread and the peoples can give you more detailed advice on how to proceed.
Here are some more photos of the current interior...

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just finished painting all my interior, no metal. Used accumatch for color. I lightly scuffed panel with grey scratch pad. Wiped them down with acetone......twice with different soft cloth each time. Fixed blemishes with epoxy glue and sanded them out, primed these areas. Final wipe down with acetone and primed. Any surface with a grain requires a LIGHT touch or it will be shiny, go slow with light coats.

·
Registered
35,157 Posts
Black to Parchment and White.

a. BRASS wire brush on "textured" metal panels.
b. Primed with lacquer.
c. Metal sprayed with semi-flat lacquer.
d. Plastic/Fiberglass sprayed first with "adhesion promoter" and then with ColorBond LVP product. https://www.colorbondpaint.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all and for the photos of your own projects. This gives me more confidence going forward. Hopefully my project will turn out as well as all of yours!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts