Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1971 Mustang Mach 1 fastback. The rear side panels are sun damaged. I have tried all types of cleaning and learned from this forum they can’t be cleaned.
I have decided to take them out and spray paint them. Color is called bright red.
Looking for a place I can buy the closest color in a spray. I have found touchup paint but not spray paint. I have tried a red on the back of the front seats but to bright,
Have attached a picture of front interior and door panels.

Any suggestions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,905 Posts
Nothing listed with NPD? Try SEM's website.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Four different red's available.... Color Coat™ Aerosols | 15373 | SEM Products

Don't forget to clean the piece thoroughly... I use Dawn dishsoap with a soft bristle brush then wipe down with wax and grease remover and, when dry, a coat of SEM plastic adhesion promoter.

I also like ColorBond LVP brand refinisher.
Thank you, will do if I can find matching paint or dye.

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
The "red" interior for the 71-72s is called Vermillion. NPD carries the correct SEM ColorCoat pre-mixed.

Be sure to read the SEM tech sheets for the ColorCoat system. Prep is the key with the plastic parts and their prep products guarantee success.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "red" interior for the 71-72s is called Vermillion. NPD carries the correct SEM ColorCoat pre-mixed.

Be sure to read the SEM tech sheets for the ColorCoat system. Prep is the key with the plastic parts and their prep products guarantee success.

Thank you, yes Vermillion. I looked at the link. I may have to but I hate to pay shipping almost as much as the product😊

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
Thank you, yes Vermillion. I looked at the link. I may have to but I hate to pay shipping almost as much as the product😊
Your next option is to find a local automotive paint store that carries the SEM line and can mix the paint for you.

Font Parallel Number Pattern Magenta

Reactions: Banks

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I purchased SEM vermillion red which is the interior color of my 71 Mach 1.
I sprayed on the adhesive promoter as directed and 4 coats of the SEM paint.
I ended up using the whole can and was disappointed in the coverage.
It did not cover very well. I have attached a couple of pictures. One is of a worn spot that is black that I even over sprayed (I have a few others but are out of site) as you can tell and the other is the main quarter panel that had sun damage. In person you can still see a hint of darkness.
I have a feeling if I buy new which all I have seen come black color it would not cover.
The paint cost around $18 and shipping $13.
Looking for suggestions on what I may have done wrong or if there is a color that is close. It is the back seat, so if close not to noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I recommend not rattle-canning it. Spray it with a real catalyzed paint. I say this simply because I am unhappy with how easily the rattle-can paint scratches. Brush my fingernails against the paint...new scratch. Others may have different experiences...I was using the CJ interior paint though, not sure why I bothered honestly since my interior is black, matching paint isn't an issue. I plan to re-paint with a catalyzed paint before putting the interior together for the last time.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Spray a lot of light coats, not big heavy coats. It looks like you were spraying kind of heavy. You're dying the plastic, not 'painting' it. Lots of quick, short little whisps with the spray can. On darker spots, it might require more light coats.

When you spray light coats, the paint remains in that spot and flashes off quickly too. When you are painting too heavy, the paint will flow and flow out of the area you are trying to cover.

I've completely recolored dark red panels to blue with the same paint. It just requires short fast bursts, almost misting it on to the panel.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
2,354 Posts
Are the 71s metal or plastic? I painted my interior my 66 panels with the NPD paint and it came out quite nice. The lacquer paint seems pretty durable so far. But those panels are metal.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the thoughts.
I held the can 8 to 10 inches away and tried to whisk it back and forth. Waited 10 to 15 mins between coats and did 4 coats. I did spray heavy on the black spot.
The parts are plastic.
Since it doesn’t seem like I can find a color close I will probably buy another can an try going over a few more times.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am back again looking for paint help.
I have found a place that will make me a spray can with the color I need if I have the color code.
I have tried Ford but car is to old. I also do not have the sticker on the door. I know the exterior is Bright. I need the interior color code for Vermillion Red.
Any suggestions or answers appreciated.

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
I posted the mix formula for the SEM Colorcoat several posts up.

The interior color code for Vermillion is E. The PPG/Ditzler mix code for the interior paint is 71872. Hopefully they can cross that over to a modern paint system.

Font Material property Paper Paper product Document

1 - 20 of 25 Posts