Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
The interior back panels on either side of the back seat of my 71 are too sun damaged to do anything but replace them. I'm wondering should I hunt junk yards trying to find vermillion color panels in good shape or should I take any color and then paint or dye them into the right color? It seems like paint would flake or scratch off but I have seen other mentions of painting on the board, so what have you done/what do you suggest?
Thanks,
Allen

71 Coupe, red with vinyl top, 351-C, headers, 600 carb, mid range cam

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I think most panels you find will be in the same condition - I would go for paint.

Beri Fraley
Strong, Proud, and Ugly.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The paint won't peel if you prep the panels properly with a good solvent. The odds of finding good panels in junk yards are very close to zero. If they were any good, somebody's already snagged them. And the odds of finding your color? Would be beyond lightning striking twice.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You won't be able to find a good looking set out of a junkyard, most of those cars have spent more time in the sun than yours probably has... I bought a set, the best of the few sets offered to me, and they still were faded and needed a repaint. I would go w/ a repaint.

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts