Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to thank everyone here on the VMF. Without all your knowledge and willingness to help me out I would have never been able to do all this work on my own. This is my first 'restoration' of any sort, and have never really worked on cars. You guys have given me the confidence to do (almost) all the work myself. So thank you!

I purchased my dream car three months ago and will never look back. There's nothing like a 60's pony! As you can probably tell, the exterior has its dings and scratches but for the most part is in good shape. The interior needed some TLC, so that is where I decided to start.

After I removed all that 45 year old carpet and insulation, which smelled terrible BTW, I discovered a nearly rust free floor board!

After countless hours of elbow grease, steel wool, laquer thinner, and rags it turned out looking very nice and ready for primer, paint, and seam sealer.

To remove all 4 layers of old paint on the rear quarter panels I used Easy-Off HD, which worked wonderfully! No easier way to remove paint than to spray a ton of Easy-Off on the panels, let them sit in a trash bag overnight, and get at them with some steel wool, lacquer thinner, and rags.

I primed them with SEMs self etching primer and painted with paint from NPD. (Don't have pics of them done at the moment, will post them later).

On to the doors, which were a PITA to prep but the came out really nicely. However, the 'Light Aqua' paint NPD supplied was way too blue, but its too late to redo it. Oh well.

Moving back to the floor pan, I installed some R-Blox sound deadening material, which is similar to Dynamat at only a fraction of the cost. It went on fairly smoothly with the help of a few friends and a heat gun. I also put in the carpet underlayment to help the ACC carpet have a more snug fit.

I met a very nice guy by the name of Paul who is now retired but used to own and work at an upholstery shop in Los Angeles (Magic Touch was the shop name) and another one in Palm Springs for a few years. He helped me install the headliner and carpet.

I'm not done yet, still have to do the finishing touches on the carpet, install the kick panels, retrosound unit, speakers, and amplifier. More pics and updates to come...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Looks great!! I hope to get my own interior finished soon!

I would have left out the Dynomat and the big washers for the seat belts... But that's just me... It's still looks great though. The mustang headliner has to be one of the easiest headliners to do... I should know, I've done plenty of them on other Fords...and the mustang is joke compared to '69 and later Fords.. I'll still never understand why people cringe on doing the headliner themselves on a '65-'68. car.. They are sooo easy..

Keep up the great work!

Tony K.

·
Registered
13 Posts
WOW, keep up the good work.

I might be using your thread is a "how to" on re-doing my interoir... Looks great!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it!

Here's what the kick panels and rear panels look like after being primed and painted. Notice the difference in color? The kick panels are much more 'blue' than the 'aqua' rear panels. VERY FRUSTRATING after doing all this work, but I'll have to live with it for now. Way too much work to prep the panels again! On a positive note, this blue works very well with the headliner...so its not that bad.

Yelostang - I think you're right. They must have mislabeled the rattle cans at the warehouse. I'm going to call them this week and see what they can do for me. NPD is great, but they sure screwed this one up!

I put some R-Blox on the back of the panels.

I mounted the amp to a piece of wood that I stained. It's going in the trunk so nobody will see it, but at least I know it looks nice :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Nice work, too bad about the paint color.

Are you replacing the steering wheel? I have the same interior and am curious as it is on my to do list. If so, I would like to hear your feedback on the quality of the wheel (if you use a stock wheel that is). If I had a different color interior I would use a wood wheel, but I just think it wouldn't go that well with the aqua interior.

Nate

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1966notch - I'm not going to replace the steering wheel as of yet, I'm gonna save that for a later time. Its still in pretty good shape, I just need to get at it with some simple green for a good half hour. What needs to be done is painting the dash and replacing the dash pad, which I will do at the same time....but for now I want her back on the road!

·
Registered
19 Posts
You're lucky. This is what I found when I pulled up the underlayment on my '66:

Nice job on the restore. I wish I had seen yours prior to doing my patch job. I may have been more motivated to do it right.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1966notch - I bought aftermarket ones by Scott Drake. They are really well made and look fabulous! I knew I had to get them the instant I saw them.

snehulak - I did get lucky on the floors, and the entire car actually. Virtually no rust! The family I purchased it from had owned it since 1971 and insisted it was garage kept as a weekend car the entire time. It has been in Souther California its entire life. The floorboards are a crap shoot, unless you actually look at it before buying it.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,655 Posts
Wow, those floor pans look great! I've been working on my interior a bit the past couple weeks and even though my pans are solid, they are not by any means pretty. Talk about weird patches! Someone even got so lazy that they welded in a solid sheet of metal as a floor pan instead of an actual floor pan. It looks terrible but it's welded in there good so I'm leaving it for now...

Also, that does look a lot like the silver blue paint. I would know, it's the color that's peeking through my current color here and there in my interior. No idea what color it is now, but it used to be that silver blue color. Maybe you can get a refund at least?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Looks nice. Good work! I like the turquoise in and out. Great looking car. I'm kinda thinking the same thing about the paint.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very nice

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thats a beautiful car bhancz!!! I have the same car, only I wish I had your brakes and stereo, but in time upgrades will be done. Again, great looking car!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts