Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1965 Fastback Code: C

I see a few aftermarket Interior Quarter Trim Panels available. Some are Plastic. Some are Fiberglass.
All are Black in colour.

I am leaning toward the fiberglass (probably from California Pony Cars). The interior I am looking for is Red. Is there a workable way to paint or dye these panel to replicate the original Red colour? I fear that with just a bit of usage, the red will flake off and the black spots will be all too obvious.

TNX
Roy

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have used SEM and Accumatch Both very good, You must clean and prep. They are a dye not paint. comes in a rattle can. Works for me. I like the sem better, easy for me to get at auto supply store.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The panels in the photo below are fiberglass. They came as extra parts when I bought the car almost 25 years ago. At the time I repainted the interior, I elected to use them and placed my originals on the shelf. The replacements fit well despite everything posted about them.
I lightly sanded and primed them with SEM primer and used Seymour interior lacquer from NPD for the topcoats (2). It's been about 6 years since the refinishing projects and they show no signs of chipping, peeling or scratching.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts