Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this seal an O-ring? The guy at NAPA said that he thought it was an O-ring so I grabbed one of those but I wanted to make sure before I put it back on. Also, is there any sealant or anything that should go on the threads of the adjustment screw?

TIA,
Brian & Dad
65 coupe
69 coupe

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The seal is a molded in part of the adjustment nut, not a seperate seal.
Regards,

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Although I prefer to use the OEM-style nuts with the bonded seal, I did modify a couple worn-out ones for use with a silicone o-ring as an emergency measure in my pit box for the race car.....I tend to use what I have since I can make most anything *G*.

Because the seal works against both the case and thread pitch, it needs to be compliant....normal Shore 70 o-rings are too rigid and IME get cut on the threads where a low durometer silicone o-ring is more conforming and flexes rather than cuts... I believe the seal in the OEM nut is silicone-based but am not positive.

When possible, I prefer to use new OEM-style nuts...any trans shop or wholesaler will have them, likely along with select auto parts stores...

Since the adjuster screw runs in aluminum threads, I like to use little ATF on the threads when screwing it into a dry case....the threads are wetted once the trans is running but I just don't like a stuck or pulled thread (possible in aluminum)....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts