Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to order my seat foam from NPD. Do I need to order the listing rod set also? Thought I read some place people are using coat hangers if they needed..

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would order the listing rod set, you could use a coat hanger but i dont think it would be long enough

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
coat hangers worked fine on my 70 seats.

if you fond one is short run 2 end to end with a slight over lap and hog them down.

work from the center out checking the fabric with each hog.

which ever you decide be sure to put a small loop in each end so the dont poke thru

·
Registered
468 Posts
Why not take them out of your old seats? I'm not completely sure but I believe that is what my upholstery guy did to my seats.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not take them out of your old seats? I'm not completely sure but I believe that is what my upholstery guy did to my seats.
Well correct me if I am wrong guys but from what I have read they are usually rusted sometimes in two?

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
so now you spent $350 on upholstery and you want to re use the old wire to save $20?

yeah you prob can but theyre usually all bent up and out of shape to be any good

·
Registered
35,897 Posts
Coat hanger wire is too soft, and will deform with time and use.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Coat hanger wire is too soft, and will deform with time and use.
Agree. Just for clarification. The steel used for coat hanger wire is a low strength, low yield strength steel. The wire may be stiff depending on the diameter/gage. The seat wires may be smaller diameter/gage higher strength steel. They flex when sat on but don't easily permanently deform/yield.

Slim

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Agree. Just for clarification. The steel used for coat hanger wire is a low strength, low yield strength steel. The wire may be stiff depending on the diameter/gage. The seat wires may be smaller diameter/gage higher strength steel. They flex when sat on but don't easily permanently deform/yield.

Slim

similar to spring steel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts