Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Cool. I know the stripes on the leaf springs are part of the assembly line code and some of the other marks may be assembly code or an inspectors number. Those are the things that are fun to reproduce.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I know the stripes on the leaf springs are part of the assembly line code and some of the other marks may be assembly code or an inspectors number. Those are the things that are fun to reproduce.
I thought that SD on fender apron might be S for s-code and D for acapulco blue. That 6 on the pumpkin could be a close ratio trans,

·
Registered
29 Posts
I thought that SD on fender apron might be S for s-code and D for acapulco blue. That 6 on the pumpkin could be a close ratio trans,

The "S" is the engine code. For other engine combinations the engine code is not always applied there on San Jose cars and in other years the code is not the exact same one used in the VIN.

The "D" has nothing to do with the exterior color sine the body had already been applied by the time that mark was applied. Mark is applied over paint rather than under. The "D" is found on just about every car built there so difficult to tell the purpose or meaning

The "6" is likely not connected to being a close ratio but instead an inspector or assembler number since often in the spot the numbers are double digit

Hope this helps

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If I might ask when was the car completed?
Odd in that the car shows a 5 for a wide ratio 4sp when the car actually has a close ratio 4sp (RUG AD). The vin is stamped on top of the left ear so I know its the original. Sold at Stockton Ca and spent it's working life around Lodi.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Odd in that the car shows a 5 for a wide ratio 4sp when the car actually has a close ratio 4sp (RUG AD). The vin is stamped on top of the left ear so I know its the original. Sold at Stockton Ca and spent it's working life around Lodi.

Thanks for posting. That will help in labeling the pictures you shared.

So you car was sold at Eagle Ford. Think (only a possibility) that one of the past owners was a neighbor a number of years ago

1 - 8 of 8 Posts