Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me introduce myself. I'm a newbie to this forum even though I've been lurking for a while. I've been a mustang fan since I was 13. My first car (in 1992) was a '76 Mustang Cobra II (Blue w/white stripes a decals). Loved that car, even though it had a pinto chassis and a 140hp V8. But now I'm all grown up (26 ;)) and have a place of my own and more importantly a garage of my own. Which I recently filled with a stipped down 66 A-Code Fastback GT and boxes full of parts.

I'm skipping the fanfare "yea, I finally got my stripped down A-Code '66 Fastback" kind of stuff and would like to jump straight to the meat. I know veryifing a cars GT'ness is a bit difficult when it comes to 65's and 66's. But it's got all the indications it is from what I've read and found SEARCHING this site. (A-code, radiator support holes, dual exhaust supprts, foglight switch hole, etc)

This is the first problem: I don't know what kind of steering was originally in this car. BUT, I do have a steering box in my parts pile that looks almost brand new. I think I might try to build whatever steering matches this box.

The problem is, when I search, I find a lot of conflicting information. Certain posts seem indicate it's a manual steering box, others seem to indicate it's a box used with power steering. Some retail sites don't even list the difference. Here are the long awaited questions:

Can someone please, once and for all, tell me what this is and it's application:

C6ZR-3550A (74A marked near output shaft)
Tag:
SMB-B
7B 13 C

---- Just so I don't get flamed for asking a seemingly obvious question this is what I found out so far:
SMB-B = 16:1 ratio, 41 7/8" IS, 1" SS
So, I know it's a quick ratio box, but I from the searches I performed the SMB codes seem more likely to be used on early model 67s. So was this box used on 66 GTs, if so was it p/s or m/s.

Also, If it is a manual steering box, what harm would come from building a power steering setup around it?

Thanks a lot!

I'm just getting started in this whole process but I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot from me.

·
Registered
553 Posts
C6ZR-3550A is going to be the casting number

C=1960
6=6th year (1966)
Z=Mustang car line
R=Manual Transmission <---- weird for a steering box?
3550=part number
A=design variant

this of course doesn't mean this came from a 1966 car, just when the part was cast.

i'd say that car specific info is going to come from the tag, that would be your best bet to focus on.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The tag says the box was built February 13, 1967, so it originally came out of a 1967 Mustang.
It is a power steering ratio box.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
SMB is for 67- short shaft with joint
HCC is for 65-66 long steering (spearing) shaft

I don't know how easily SMB can be fitted to 65-66.

The HCC-AW (power steering) and HCC-AX (GT manual) are the fast boxes and HCC-AT is the slow box.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SMB is for 67- short shaft with joint
HCC is for 65-66 long steering (spearing) shaft
This has the SMB Tag on it, but it's got the long integral shaft. Is that weird? Is it possible?

I have some pictures of it if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just incase anyone elses searches and finds this thread I'll add some information I found. I suppose answering your own question is better than nothing.

On the charts I found here: http://www.buy-steering.com/Ford-Mustang.htm
It shows the SMB-B having as:
67-68 Mustang SMBB Manual 16:1 3 3/4 *
But it lists it as a short shaft box. Mine is definitely a long shaft box with an SMB-B tag on it. The * above notes that it was used for manual steering GT's.

However, this site: Mustangs Plus sells a 1965-67 Long Shaft Power Steering Gearbox which according to Mustangs Plus is a replacement for tag numbers: HCC-AW; HCC-AX; SMB-B

Why the descrepancy you ask? Possibly because of this:
I found a note on the the first site which says:
- Early (64-70) Mustang power steering is of the non-integral, add-on assist type with a separate power cylinder and control valve. There is no difference between the manual and power steering boxes, except for ratios. The fast ratio manual steering box is the same as the power steering box.
So here is my conclusion and the answer to my questions:

1) It doesn't matter if your 65-66 box is meant for manual steering or power steering. The only thing that matters are the ratios. All 65-66 power steering cars had a 16:1 ratio. All manual steering cars had a 19:1 ratio with the exception of the Shelby, the GT, or a car ordered with a handling package-they had 16:1 ratio steering.

2) If you build a power assist type setup around a manual box on a 65-67 it won't hurt anything. (I say 67 because early model 67's used the same box, it wasn't until the government mandated collapsable steering columns did they change)

3) I think it may be possible to have an early model 67 gear box (Feb 67 from decoding the tag) with an SMB tag and a long shaft.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to get some definitive information.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts