Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have everything now so this week I will do the work. I bought the carb off a showroom display and its the Edlebrock 1406 that you guys suggested. I bought the new intake and the Lokar cable that you guys suggested and I bought a new set of gaskets and pan to go under the intake. So what else do I need to install the setup that I now have and what do I need to do to make it an easy installation. BTW I am so excited about this one because its the only mod I have done that will give it some oomph. The petronix really did nothing in that department.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
Not sure what all you have and am planning for. Make sure you have some silicone (I use blue rtv) and some electrical connectors for the choke wires. This is a pretty simple install. Go easy on the silicone and have fun. Is this on the 351? I installed on a 289 and needed a carb spacer since the EC would hit my valve covers. Test fit first.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Are you installing a carb spacer? If you have the room for it I would. Maybe a 1/2" phenolic one?

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume there is a reason for it so I will see if its in the box. I also assume all of my vaccum lines will work on the carb. Yes it is a 351C 2V. Next engine mod is the ceramic coated headers.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
You won't have a spacer in the box. Lay your intake on the engine and lay the carb down. See if anything is in the way. That way you can get one from a parts house before you install.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are correct. There is no spacer so thats on my list.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2 questions. What if I get the 1" instead of the 1/2" and does it make a difference if I get the open one or the 4 hole one. Thanks

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Get the 4-hole. It's better for low end torque. If you have hood clearance for the 1", that's fine, otherwise, get a 1/2". Get a phenolic one, though, as it will REALLY help reduce heat of the float bowls. The side hung float bowls make the Edelbrock carbs really bad about percolating the fuel in the bowls without a phenolic spacer.

Your vacuum lines will work, but your existing PCV hose won't ... you'll have to make a new one.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yup, I agree. And just one other little thing, that's probably not a problem anyway, but..... When your done with your swap, be on the safe side, and check your hood clearance, before shutting the hood. One of the other members spoke of a clever way to do this by placing a loose foil ball on top of your cleaner assembly, and slowly closing your hood on it. Hey, I hope it all goes well for you! Have fun!

J.R.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK then. I ordered it and it should be here by Wednesday. I think the 1" will be no problem.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I got the 1" and it was close but the 1/2" wouldn't cut it. You'll definitely need to check for clearance and get a filter assembly that will fit. You have a few options for that though.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:p Hell no, that is what hammers are for. I can get a bit more clearance if I bend the hood out a bit. :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Definately go with a phenolic spacer. I had an original aluminum spacer on mine with the 1406. When I turned the car off when it was hot I better not be planning on going anywhere till it cooled off because it was a bitch to start again when it was hot.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, I bought it and its on the way. Now I have to go on a job so it may be a few weeks before it get it in. Should I mount the carb on the intake before I install it or shoud I do it after I install the intake. Which is easier.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Like was mentioned earlier, get some play-doh. I found some at Walmart for 54 cents a can on the end isle. It will hold its shape after its smashed down and you can get an accurate measurement.

I also had to find a brass adapter to get the heater hose fitting to fit into the manifold. The hole in my manifold was bigger than the stock fitting.

As far as PCV valves, I found one at Autozone with an "L" shaped nipple on top and ran that to the rear of the carb. I blocked off the outlet on the front of the carb instead with a big rubber vacuum cap. I had to find another adapter to screw into the back of the carb to fit the hose from the PCV valve just for a cleaner look. They say to hook the PCV to the front but I didn't think it would make a difference. (anyone let me know differently if you know).

If you order a phenolic spacer, make sure it comes with or you purchase the longer studs to bolt the carb down (gaskets too).

I live in Denver so I also had to change the secondary jets and the metering rods.

Overall, it was more involved than I first anticipated.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes mine has the PCV to the back of the carb already. The front of the car is where the fuel filter will go. I am not too worried about the carb being too high. I have about 3" between the top of the air cleaner and the bottom of the hood. This is a 72 not the 70 or older models.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts