Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there that has devised a way of locking the hood of a 66 Mustang without having to buy an expensive hood locking kit with interior release handle?

I'm simply looking for a way to lock the hood. Nothing fancy, just something one can create with some effort but with minimal cost.

I'd be very interested to find out about your solutions

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I got a set of locking hood pins for my 67, it's not exactly invisible, but it gets the job done. I didn't mind cutting the holes in my hood since it already had some bondo on the corner. The locks only cost $20, but are you willing to cut your hood.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've seen several setups using a piece of chain and a padlock. Attach one end of the chain to the under side of the hood and rig up something to lock it to underneath the car. You had to get up under the car to see and unlock them. It's secure but very inconvenient.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
If the underside of the 66 hood is similar to a 67 then a simple cabinet lock should do the trick. Do a search for a similar post I made back in February.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
it really doesn't matter about the cost..... it's protection for your baby, some stealing your stuff or just some a$$ hole droping and 3/8 nut down your carb...ask me how i know about a shaker getting stole because i didn't have a hood lock... i was lucky i got my stuff back. but do what ever it takes to protect that mustang!!!!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My mustang is equipped with avery good alarm. One can't open the hood without me knowing it. However because there is no guarantee that in that short instance something is done to the engine or wiring or whatever, I want to get it locked.

Also, my mustang is never parked far away and is only used for daily transportation to and from work. At work I can keep an eye on it as it is parked next to my office at all times and if it isn't at work it is at home where I also have a good view of it. I have a general rule, I don't take the mustang anywhere that I'm not certain I can keep an eye on it.

I'll be looking at the different options and decide which is best...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts