Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nov issue Mustang&Fords Mag.
Pg 40
Been having mice problems crawling under the car cover on top of my Stang that sets in the garage.
I didnt realize how often mice [censored] ? Tracks all over the paint, little tiny foot prints on my nice shinny paint.
Tryed moth balls..no help.
So i see the article...run out and buy 6 bars of Irish Spring Original deodorant soap...about $4.50 total...cheap if it works......install them all over the car.
Next evening i go to the garage and pull the cover...i tracked the little bugger all over the passenger side fender top over to the windshield , along the top of the door edge just above the door handle ,back to the back glass where the secound brand new bar of Irish Spring Original Deodorant soap lays on the rear slopping fastback glass, then up the glass to the top of the roof, back down the rear driver side, back along the side to the front driver side front fender top.. He didnt stay long this time, put pissed all the way along the journey.
I think he is missing one toe on his left front foot.
That was last nite so i pulled the car cover and used final detail cleaner in a spray bottle and wipped it clean. No problem.
I figured i taught him a lesson and that will be the end of this guy messing with my car. All those bars of Irish Spring Original Deodorant Soap surely scared the sh*t of him for sure, well actually he hasnt sh*t on the paint yet, just pissing all over it.
OK, secound nite/day i go back and pull the cover and.......you guessed it...he was back, same path as before, same guy with a missing toe??
I cant confirm it (no tracks), but ill bet this is the same guy who chewed my back seat foam last winter.
They all look alike you know,but i did see him (or Someone like him) the other day, he ran from the Stang over and into my pile of Flat Head Ford parts pile.He must have known how heavy that flat head engine is , and he must have known i wouldnt move it just for him.
At this point in time he probably thinks he is smarter than I. But I figure as long as he doesnt eat all the soap , ill be set for bath soap for a month or two. So i havent really waisted $4.50.
Altho mice do not eat moth balls either, Irish Spring Original Deodornat Soap smells better, so thats one up for the soap so far.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I like the poison, but I have kids and I would hate to have a mouse die in the wall of my house (or worse...). After having a family take nest in our house this winter, we tried several kinds of traps (including the sticky paper) to no avail. About a month ago, my wife found these plastic "no touch" traps that are loaded by squeezing one "lever" end of the trap to open the jaw. It is an easy load (unlike the old style traps) and while you have your hand on the load mechanism, you put a dab of peanut butter on the jaw end. We caught four in about a week and haven't heard or seen one since.

I think the peanut butter really did the trick to lure them in and the kind of trap worked really well and you don't even have to handle the mouse to re-use the trap! Put a few under the car by the wheels and perhaps one under the flat head.

Good luck,

·
Registered
529 Posts
Good Luck,
I've tried it all. I tried to keep them out of my '53 Hudson Superwasp with rat poison. I went through four boxes over the course of the winter only to find 4 boxes worth of poison in the frame rails. I spent hours shop vacuuming it all out. I finally went back to traps. Has anyone out there tried the electronic deterents or are they just garbage?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The electronic "pest" things my wife purchased, pack of 6 or so, are crap. Bugs will even land on them. Never noticed a difference with or without them. $20 I won't have to find a use for now either.

Not sure if those are the electronic ones you are talking about, but crap none the less.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I think the Irish Spring soap was in the latest issue of M&F if I recall correctly. Sure wouldn't hurt to try them. I worry because I park my project car in a seed warehouse and mice will view my upholstry as the "greener grass" compared to all those scruptious oat seeds scattered everywhere! ::

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I wrote the article for Mustang and Fords. I got that little tip from a Corvette friend of mine. I have had problems in the past with vermin, and since we've been doing it we've haven't had any problems. But we may have been lucky all this time too!

The biggest downfall is that occasionally you forget where you hid one of the bars (up under the dash where they like to nest) and it falls out and cracks your shin the first hard corner you take. ::

I have a great mousing cat now too, and perhaps that helps more than anything!!

Plus, if Darwin is right, we'll eventually have Irish Spring resistant mice that are 2 foot long and drag off small dogs and children, all because we fed them Irish Spring......

Dave
::

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
reply to cats ?
we ( as in my neighbor) got more cats than i can keep track of.
i think the neighbor is a cat lover and feeds them too much, and ive told him to stop feeding them so they would catch mice and also chipmunks, but to no avail.
only thing they have done is sneak into the garage and walk on the cars, thats why i cover it inside the garage , in fear of them scatching the paint AGAIN.
i used to have one ole mother cat that kept the whole neighborhood clear of rodents, she would bring me a mouse and put it on the door step and we gave her some milk each time....she died of old age, they just dont make them like that anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts