Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there installed one of the aftermarket or Ford IRS systems in their ride?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm looking to do that in my car. Yes, it is for the wow factor, but also for the handling and 5 lug axles. I know I could do an 8.8 for a lot cheaper, but this is cooler. If you can get the rear clip out of an old fox stang and weld that into you car, then it's pretty much a bolt in after that. Or you could build the frames and brackets necessary to hang it back there. Heidt's sells an IRS kit too. If you buy a Cobra IRS, try to get all of the brake parts too. Most people want to keep their calipers and stuff though. I've seen it done on the internet, but I can't recall that page right now. I'll try to do a search for it.

One other thing. The late model rear ends are wider, but that's ok, because most of them use positive offset wheels, so the track works out to be about the same.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
If you can get the rear clip out of an old fox stang and weld that into you car, then it's pretty much a bolt in after that.

:joker:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Talk to VMF member MUSTANGSURFER (Dave Stribling) Here's his website: DVS. His Mustang fastback was in a magazine this past month, his was on the cover:
http://mustangmonthly.com/toc/mump_0602_cover.jpg

Mustang Monthly magazine did a nice write up on the car. His Shop did the conversion and the sell the conversion kit.

http://www.dvsrestorations.com/images/june27.JPG
http://www.dvsrestorations.com/images/master.JPG

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Old fox's dont have IRS.. unless you are referring to some non-mustang fox.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Ahem....[Bias on]

not too many people have becasue its more for the wow factor than anything
You'd think this is true - but by the time you take a nine inch, put an SSBC disc setup on it - posi center, new bearings and seals - you are just about the price of an IRS setup. At least that's what happened with one of my customers.

As far as ride - you can make a live axle corner as well as the Ford IRS - but it won't ever ride like one. Conversley, if you want to go drag racing, an IRS isn't for you (much better to use a live axle)

[Bias off] ::

Dave ::

P.S. - Come over to the dark side, young Padawan....

K

·
0 Posts
Last year at our Knotts cruise a guy showed up with a Corvette IRS on his Mustang. Looked good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Old fox's dont have IRS.. unless you are referring to some non-mustang fox.
The fox chassis rear suspension geometry was used up until the new body style came out. You have to add one weld nut to the fox mustang to get an IRS out of an '03-'04 car to bolt in.

·
Registered
383 Posts
There is a guy over here in Green Bay that has a 67 or 68 with a real different rear end setup. The center looks like an aluminum box, and he has Strange Bros. axles with a 4 link setup. Very adjustable I would imagine. He also has a stroker that really screams. Its more for track than street. Different.

Perry

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I beg to differ, just because you can put an IRS in a fox chassis relatively easily (and no it isn't perfect either, if you want to lower the car at all you have to notch the frame from what I hear), does not mean that FOX cars had IRS. Thats like saying "oh you can take the fairlane suspension blah blah" when you are referring to a mustang part that was never actually used in a fairlane).

Ah, words and technicalities... i just think the original post im responding to is misleading.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Man, i look at that car and think "if your going to go so far, why not go all the way". I mean, neither the front or the rear suspension are all that great. They may be better in one respect or the other thank stock, but both have so much room for improvement. First there is the typical mustang 2 stuff which i wont get into. Then there is the IRS that uses the axles as the upper A-arm, which has its drawbacks in both geometry and safety (hope he never breaks an axle or u-joint!) I give him an "A" for financial and market searching, but maybe only a B+ for overall outcome. I am, however, a very harsh critic, and am quite certain that it will be everything HE wants it to be, so long as someone like I stay out of his business :sniping:.

I can't wait to see what will happen when a well knowledged, overkill loving, mechanical engineer like my future self, might put on the market for all those not willing to do it themselves.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
the 94-04 stangs are just a modified version of the fox platform, which id they are often referred to as the fox-4 platform. nothing really changed much from the toe boards back, it's atill pretty much the exact same thing as a fox body car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts