Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am due for an oil change tomorrow and I was wondering if I should go up from 10W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic to 15W-50... It says it's for high perforamcne cars and muscle cars as well... I drive my Mustang hard and I expect it to be well oiled. Whatdya think guys?

·
Registered
655 Posts
I use 20W-50 in both V8 cars. The poor 6 only gets 10W-30.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If the car doesn't burn oil with 10w-30, I'd keep using it.

Oil is a lubricant, but you also want to use as little as necessary, or it also creates friction and heat. Ideally, you want the least amount of oil coating the internals as possible. Moving up to a heavier weight (read: thicker) oil will keep more of it on the reciprocating parts, which could *slightly* hinder the performance of the engine... probably not enough to feel, but...

IMO, you're fine with 10w-30 unless it uses it up real fast.

-M

·
Registered
708 Posts
I also use 20W50 and like it very much. I don't burn or leak a drop of it. The only drawback is that it makes the car a little harder to start in winter. So my next oil change will be with 15W50, that should make the cold starts easier....

Otherwise I see no reason not to use it. But, mine is a stocker that may or may not have been rebuilt in its 36 years. I guess that in a newly/recently rebuilt engine I would start with 15W40.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I concur. I use 10W-30 Mobil One for 80,000 miles in my six banger. My Class 5 VW Baja Bug used Eon 30W straight (back in the 70's). This was with 275 degree oil temps (sometimes 300 degrees) in 115 degree heat at 3000rpm in a sand wash at 5-10mph!!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I use 15-50 mobil one and love it and won't use anything else. When the mustang is beat hard regular oils break down ( can be seen by the oil gage). I put my motor together in 92 and it still looks like the day it was assembled internally of course.

G

·
0 Posts
I like it, the bigger the engine the heavier I get. 20/50 in the drag car, truck, Spoiler, & others, 15/50 in the Jeep(4.0 I-6) & 10/30 in the Poesche. Mobil1 rocks!

G

·
0 Posts
I just switched from 10w30 to 10w40.
My car no longer smokes which saves me a rebuild for now, but I do notice the oil pressure is up a bit higher than I would like.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I would say that it depends mainly on the condition of your engine (bearing clearances) and climate. If your oil pressure is fine with 10w/30 I would stick with it. Thick oil is harder to pump and takes longer to reach the top end of the engine.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input, guys...

The car usually burns about half a quart or a quart in between oil changes...I don't know why exactly, but that's alright for me, at least for now.

I think I'll stick with 10-30 for right now... Maybe 15-50 next time. I wish Mobil 1 made a full synthetic in 15-40 but they don't! Only 5-30, 10-30, and 15-50! And I don't use ANYTHING except for Mobil 1 in my car. Chevron Supreme gas and Mobil 1 oil. Expensive.. ohyes, but not as expensive as a blown motor. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Just wanted to get my two cents in.... I run 20W-50, but my motor smokes like a dirty chimney!

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
20W-50. No problems. But I only drive the convert in the "warm" weather. I put the top down in April/May and put it back up in October or so. Then I change the oil, put in the gas stablizer, and park it until the weather warms up again.

John

·
Registered
657 Posts
I am running Valvoline 20W-50 in mine, but it is nearly 90 degress at 8:00 AM around here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts