Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all... My car seems to be running at 230 degrees ALL the time, whether I'm just driving around town or on the freeway. It never goes over 230, but it is rarely under 230 (save for warm-up periods, of course)

Is this unhealthy for Clunker, or should I not worry about it? The car doesn't have ANY running problems and doesn't show any signs of damage.

I'm thinking the thermostat might be stuck?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
If it really is 230 degrees, it is too hot. I'd check the gauge first, and if it's correct you have a heating problem to fix. Yes, thermostats do sometimes stick shut. And open too..

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It does sound hot to me, but what do I know? Verify the gage is accurate. My '71 runs at 160 and this has been verified with two other gages, which I thought is too cold. My '68 runs at 175.
I woukd think anything over 210 might be too hot.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Personally, I don't like seeing mine over 205. If it was at 230, I'd be tearing into it trying to find the culprit.

Just my .02

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I verified the temperature with 3 other gauges and they all read between 225-230 degrees!! OK, possible problems? Thermostat is the only thing I can think of - Everything else is perfect!

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
K, FWIW, I've heard cast iron blocks can run continuously up to 250 degrees. That said, here are my limits: 205 suspiciously eye gauge, 210 begin to get concerned, 220 look for place to pull over, 230 shut off engine and coast.

I'd be tearing into that car of yours. If it's shooting straight up to 230, then staying there, I'd be thinking thermostat. However, my bets are on plugged radiator (or just plain too small) and timing.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Mmmm I have a 390 with a 4 core rad and it never goes past 190. I was having overheating problems before and it turned out to be retarded timing.. I would flush radiator, check t-stat at that time. If ya get a new one throw it in a pot of boiling water and be sure it opens. Sometimes they are bad right outta the box. I have a bottle of water wetter as well I'd be willing to part with if ya want. That stuff works pretty good. Good luck

·
Registered
124 Posts
If the thermostat was sticking, it would shoot up fast ultimately boil over, right? You didn't mention whether it was spitting up coolant, if it has, did you top it off?

Run you heater the next time you think of it. Does it put out hot air? If not, maybe you've got an air block, or some other blockage in the system, or you're low on coolant.

My tbird tends to run hot, compared to my stang, but it stays between 190 and 200 even on hot days now (thanks to a 4 core radiator).

Another suggestion, take the car into a radiator shop. They'll probably look at it for free and may save you some time and trouble.

Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
When I first put on my Offenhauser manifold I installed a 160* thermastat, during the winter when at idle the heater would go cold. I changed it out with a 195* one and it'll run rock solid at 195* all day long now, even with temperatures in the 90's the last few days. I read somewhere that engine wear is increased running below 180* as well ???

Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts