Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop that will be repainting my Mach 1 this winter has said that if I pull the engine he will detail my engine compartment for 250. It will not have all the correct decals but other than that it will look new. I plan on doing an engine swap in the spring anyway so pulling the cleveland is not an issue for me. Is that a fair price?

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Depends on what he means by "detail". Is that just shooting the engine compartment? Is it pulling out hinges, springs, radiator, yatta, yatta, yatta and cleaning up/refinishing them as well?

I'd want a detailed description of what I was getting for $250.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
It's a pretty easy task once the engine is removed. I'd do it myself. I'm sure he won't go into as much detail as you would, and you will no doubt be disappointed with his results. It's not hard, just a bit time consuming. How much time do you think he will spend on it for $250, including supplies? Just my $0.02.....

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
That's an average price. Our shop charges $350 to $750 depending on how much detail is involved. For $350 the engine stays in, and we detail around it or the customer pulls the engine prior to giving to us. We degrease, sand and re-paint the bay. If engine is left in, we also degrease the engine, tear it down partly such as carb, power steering pump & a/c compressor, etc. and repaint engine as well, including the p/s pump and a/c compressor, etc. No decals and not concours, but looks good for the local car shows and such. The $750 gets the royal treatment such as nuts & bolts, hinges, etc, done correctly or exactly how customer wants it, and of course decals! ;)

So see exactly what he covers for $250, degreasing and sanding is important if you want it to last longer than a season.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I can't see how you can get much detail for 250.00. A real detailing is a major task if done properly ::.....Billy

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
to properly detail an engine compartment, in my opinion, requires removing all the old crud AND paint and LOTS of prep before shooting one ounce of paint. To get the engine compartment below in its current state required many, many hours PLUS lots of hard work - I personally don't think you would be satisfied with a 250 "quickie" job. Its no problem at all once you pull the engine and front end sheet metal parts to jump right in there and tackle the job - just lots of sweat and determination.....

randy

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/engcomp1.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts