Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I'm new here and looking to buy my first and (maybe) only car. I've had a full time job for a year in a big city making decent bucks and would like a weekend car for getaways. I found this mustang that I really like but Hagerty disagrees with the price. Thought I'd hit you all up first to see.

Any advice?

edit: I spoke to the seller and he seemed pretty firm in his pricing. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

·
Spammer Hammer
9,404 Posts
Appears to be a decent car. Also seems as though it might have lived its entire life in FL. Can get pretty salty down there. I’d be somewhat concerned with rust having been covered up with the undercoating and potentially fresh paint. Appears to me the only thing tribute about it is the B2 stripe. Everything else is regular Mustang stuff. I wouldn’t pay $35K for it. All depends on what you want.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
THat is not a Boss 302 Tribute Car... its a Nice 1970 Fastback with some painted on stripes.... at a minimum, a Boss 302 Tribute Car should have the actual stripe kit installed, a manual transmission and flat hood or shaker... this person just proved why the non-shaker Boss 302's did not get a scoop...

My opinion, someone took a nice 1970 fastback project and added stripes in hopes of making more $$$... nothing more

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appears to be a decent car. Also seems as though it might have lived its entire life in FL. Can get pretty salty down there. I’d be somewhat concerned with rust having been covered up with the undercoating and potentially fresh paint. Appears to me the only thing tribute about it is the B2 stripe. Everything else is regular Mustang stuff. I wouldn’t pay $35K for it. All depends on what you want.
What would you say is a reasonable price?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Also since it is not mentioned and there is no under hood photographs... you have to ask what is the value of 1970 Mustang Fastback with a 302 - C4 transmission, A/C and drum brakes...

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Not a clone. He is fishing. A serious seller will have pics of the hotspots or receipts to show repairs. No mention of the cowl condition or the tray under the rear window. It sounds like he regasketed a used 5.0. painted it and stuck on some eye candy.

It may very well be a nice looking and nice running car, but not for 35k.

35k will buy a nice car with documentation.

i tend to stay away from ebay, consignment shops and flippers. The best cars at the best price will be private party sellers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a clone. He is fishing. A serious seller will have pics of the hotspots or receipts to show repairs. No mention of the cowl condition or the tray under the rear window. It sounds like he regasketed a used 5.0. painted it and stuck on some eye candy.

i tend to stay away from ebay, consignment shops and flippers. The best cars at the best price will be private party sellers.
thanks my man! It's pretty but not scam me out of my money pretty.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'd pass. It was a pretty bare bones fastback to begin with and he's asking a "clone" price for some stripes and paint. The green interior, automatic and late model 5.0 wouldn't make me want to spend anywhere near $35k for that car. Lastly, look at the gaps on the panels, especially the drivers door... the gap on the front half of the door is much tighter than on the back half. Looks similar with the trunk and other body panels, which could mean reproduction fenders and quarter panels, meaning possibly rust and decay. Either that or just bad body work and/or possibly paint. I think there are much nicer cars out there for that price or less...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Would paying to get a green interior like above be pricey if the car is already a different interior?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd pass. It was a pretty bare bones fastback to begin with and he's asking a "clone" price for some stripes and paint. The green interior, automatic and late model 5.0 wouldn't make me want to spend anywhere near $35k for that car. Lastly, look at the gaps on the panels, especially the drivers door... the gap on the front half of the door is much tighter than on the back half. Looks similar with the trunk and other body panels, which could mean reproduction fenders and quarter panels, meaning possibly rust and decay. Either that or just bad body work and/or possibly paint. I think there are much nicer cars out there for that price or less...
thanks! do you think change interiors to match this green would be pricey?

·
Super Moderator
9,381 Posts
Have the seller point out the “Clone” parts,....what makes this car a clone?

·
Registered
260 Posts
thanks! do you think change interiors to match this green would be pricey?
If you have to take the interior to someone and have them do the work then it can definitely get pretty expensive. Either that or buying all new interior and doing it yourself. Doesn't seem worth the hassle to me, especially for the price up front.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I do not know the car nor the seller so my comments are based upon the ebay listing. Rust is always a concern with these old rigs and a coastal car can be problematic (salt air). The seller's choice of words causes me concern: "NO VISIBLE RUST OR ROT " That either means the car never had rust damage, or the rust was properly cut out and proper patch panels were installed, or the rust is covered up with undercoating or some other slight of hand technique. Absolutely pay to have someone with vintage Mustang experience put eyes on the car and perform a thorough pre-purchase inspection.

Haggerty valuation (on line) is nowhere near as high as this seller's asking price. That being said, the photos do depict a nice car but it is not a Boss 302 and its value on the open market should be based upon that of a plain Jane Sportsroof. Do your research to see what these auction cars are actually selling for as part of your due diligence.

·
Super Moderator
9,381 Posts
No visible rust,....he’s covering himself.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Nothing about that car appeals to me, other than the body style.

For starters, I would expect a clone to actually have a Boss 302 in it...and ditch the incorrect hood scoop.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
You made a wise decision to do some research.

eBay is probably not the best place to find a quality car.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts