Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a rebuilt 68 c4 to replace a 65 c4. Can't make the linkage work. Is there a difference between the two? I've looked on line and the pictures of the 2 replacements look the same, which are different than my stock one. If there is a difference, should the 68 linkage still work with my 65 floor shifter?
Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't know about the linkage, but their shift patterns are different. A 1965 gearbox selector will be P-R-N-white dot (trans starts in 2nd gear, shifts to 3rd)-green dot, white ring(transmission starts in 1st, shifts to 2nd and 3rd)-L. The 1968 will have the P-R-N-D-2-1 that we have become used to on new cars.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
I bought a rebuilt 68 c4 to replace a 65 c4. Can't make the linkage work. Is there a difference between the two? I've looked on line and the pictures of the 2 replacements look the same, which are different than my stock one. If there is a difference, should the 68 linkage still work with my 65 floor shifter?
Thanks
No, the rod and lower lever are different on 64-66, and 67-68. However, if you use a 65 rod and 65 lower lever, the 68 trans will work with them. As noted, the shift pattern on your 65 shifter will be wrong, but all you need to do is put it on the small dot to get normal drive. You'd be better off using the 68 shifter, to get the right pattern an lock-tooth in the shifter.

But first, why are you using the wrong transmission?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks. The transmission rebuilder said that the 67-68 c4 was a better transmission for a shift kit. I was aware of the shift pattern difference. For the same price I chose the 68 version. He didn't mention the differences in the linkage.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
Ok thanks. The transmission rebuilder said that the 67-68 c4 was a better transmission for a shift kit. I was aware of the shift pattern difference. For the same price I chose the 68 version. He didn't mention the differences in the linkage.
He was wrong. I recently drove a 66 GT350H. They had a bigger servo, and shift kit (both still available) and this thing shifted nice.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Got a link to the bigger servo and shift kit from the GT350H?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
He was wrong. I recently drove a 66 GT350H. They had a bigger servo, and shift kit (both still available) and this thing shifted nice.

The shift pattern for the 65-66 sucks for manual shifting (which I assume is why the trans guy said the 67-68 was better).

All you really need to do is change to a 67-up valve body.

Like 22GT said, the larger servo is a plus too!

Either way, you're better off going with the 67-68 shift bucket as well. You can put your 65-66 shifter in it and keep the original linkage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts