Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd be taking a C code and adding modern aluminum heads, hotter cam, upgraded carb and intake, etc.

Wondering if the block of a 1965 C code is any wose than an A code in this context. Is the C code block any weaker?

I can't afford a K code car, so that's not an option. I was looking to by a C or A code 65/66 car and doing the standard performance enhancements.

thanks again to the forum
steve

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
since I'd be swapping intake and carb, how do the pistons differ? Is my performance build handicapped if I buy a C code car?

thanks

steve

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
I think the C code will have the dished pistons. That could be OK if you remember that when you are ordering Cylinder heads, it's another part of the equation. The dished pistons could be a plus, as you could probably drive around on 87 octane fuel, and put in the premium when you know you are going to the track. And on top of that, the dished pistons would be a necessity if you wanted to put a supercharger on it.
Even my 377 has dished pistons, 9.35 compression, I ride around on 87 octane fuel, put in the preimium when I head to the track, and it is quite drivable.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
dont worry about a K-code motor. Those dont have a significant perf advantage for what you are looking for. You can duplicate most everything on a K-code, if you want it, on a C-code using modern aftermarket parts. K-codes are nice motors but leave them for the concours folks.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
If I recall correctly, the combustion chamber size of the '65 C-code heads were around 54 CC. I may not be 100% right with the CC but I do know most aluminum heads start around 60 CC with a couple being 58CC. With stock pistons you may lose some compression points.

Just a small caveat.

Regards,

Dean T

·
6,855 Posts
To answer your question, there is no difference.

If you just want to install an aftermarket intake and carb (along with hipo exhaust manifolds or headers) you can use the c-code "as-is" as long as it is in good shape (has good compression...not making noises, etc.) HOWEVER...if you try to go to aftermarket heads (Personally I used AFR 165's with 58 cc combustion chambers) you will have to change the pistons as the big valves will hit the c-code pistons (intake valve will have too little clearance...the exhaust valve will hit). If you go with KB116's (keith black, hypereutectic) on your stock rods, you will have plenty of clearance and 10.0:1 compression. You will want to change your cam too.

See my page at: http://home.earthlink.net/~pirateship/mopower.htm

For details about my c-code buildup.

That all being said...I'm still not sure it was a smart thing to do. It was expensive and the 289 (with it's limited cubes) is going to limit the power available. If $s are available, it would probably make more since to start with a new block and stroke it for maximum power potential, AND the ability to use a stock style roller cam.

Good Luck!

Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts