Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I noticed that the power steering pump on my 73 vert (351C-4V) was making a "squawling" noise above 3000 rpm. I disconnected the belts to the other accessories so I know that the PS pump is the problem. It sounds just like a bad bearing. I looked at the shop manual and it does not look like you can just replace a bearing (like on an alternator). It's the original pump and it pumps just fine and does not leak and I've already detailed it. What are my options for rebuilding the pump? Can it be rebuilt, or should I just buy another one and use the pulley and housing off of this one?

G

·
0 Posts
I rebuilt mine. But you basically get the entire thing, except for the reservoir and the pulley. It was fairly easy once you figure out how to get it apart. I had mine all detailed up as well before it went bad. It was fairly low cost though I don't remember now exactly how much I paid for the part. I have had no problems with it leaking or otherwise.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
The P/S pump is incredibly simple to "rebuild", should take you under two hours, and the kit is about $15 at most places, consisting of seals and gaskets. There are no bearings, per se, and all you end up doing is disassemble, clean, and reassemble. The cost for a "Rebuilt" from an autoparts store @ $100 is entirely unwarranted, considering the simplicity of the process.

If your pump makes noises, first check the fluid level, then closely examine the hoses. Many times there will be a pin hole or something that is allowing air into the fluid, which causes the noise. Also try turning the wheels lock to lock 4~5 times, as this will help bleed out any air in the system, then shut the motor off and let the car sit for several hours, which allows the air buubles in the fluid to rise tot he reservoir and vent.

I rebuilt both my pump and steering box and installed new hoses. My system is dead quiet, with only the slightest noise when turning the wheels lock to lock at a dead stop.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If there aren't any bearings, what supports the pump shaft as it is turning in the housing?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
The pump shaft is supported by a bushing that is pressed into the front plate. Unless your pump was run dry for days on end, I seriously doubt it would need to be replaced. However, like all things 30 years old, it wouldn't hurt to double check it. I've rebuild a bunch of these pumps, and none have ever exibited any significant wear, as the bushing is so over-lubricated. I've only seen one bushing outright fail in 17 years of Mustanging. That was in 1986 on a 70 Mach I wanted as my 1st car.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts