Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to buy a running driving 89 Merc. Marquis for a steal. Is this car a good candidate for a 5.0 swap?

·
Registered
21,140 Posts
If you're buying it just for the motor, pass. The motor has flat top cast pistons without any vavle reliefs. Look for a Explorer motor, you'll be money ahead.

I saw tmendans 67' he had a set of MAC try-y's that looked like they would clear a set of GT40P heads just fine, that a lot of Explorer motors have.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,847 Posts
Dan Reiter (aka...Chepsk8 on Stangnet) did something similar. Bought a Merc for $150, installed the 5.0 and AOD in his 69 vert. Depends on what you are after. If its a REAL deal, may be worth it. If you are after performance, probably better options out there....

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
$500 is the going price for that car at auction here in georgia. mainly due to the fact that the color coat/clear coat paint did not hold up in the georgia sun. I saw a about a 1990 continental with a 5.0 that ran beautifully go for $100 that was a steal.

I got a mark VII for $600 which has the mustang HO engine. 89-92 are the ideal mustang HO engines but you can see from my earlier post i only got 168 horsepower at the rear wheels which means about 200 horses. The upside of these engines is there built strong and are a good candidate to building up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts