Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some google searches and they come back as the spray booth is not really necessary for a quality paint job.

Here's my situation - My paint and body guy moved to a new and larger facility. The story is that there's a money issue between the building owner and electricians - therefore no power has been pulled to the panel, and no power run to the brand new spray booth.

The painter says the booth isnt really a requirement for a quality paint job - went on to explain some benefit of the booth over spraying in the open, but in the end the outcome would be the same.

He's going to spray a Mach 1 in a week and I can look at that - not that I can tell if there are differences between spraying in a booth or in the open shop.

Primer has been sprayed in the open. Body work and sanding is in process.

It's been a few months now for the apparent argument to get the power issue resolved. the electrician was supposed to show up 10 days ago. Still hasnt. but could show up any time I guess.

So - Since I want to get the painting done, drive it this summer, hit a show this September, should I go with painting on the open shop floor or continue to wait for the booth?

·
Registered
283 Posts
if you limit the dust by spray water on the floor and use a fast drying clear coat you can get a decent job. The little dust that does get on may be on there should be removed during the color sanding. I am not a body shop and did mine and it looks very nice everyone comments on the paint. But if I HAD a booth I would use it

·
Registered
293 Posts
I painted my 70 Mach 1 on my own in my double garage and that was in the good old damp England.
As been said damp floor down, hang polythene around the area and mine was painted in 2K.
I did spend time on fine sanding and polishing.

Chris

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
When I lived in South Florida, I had a painter there do a FFR Cobra (fiberglass car). He had some ventilation fans setup in his backyard barn, but no booth. Car came out amazing. He did what he could to keep the dust down, but so much of the paint quality is in how well the body was prepped.

A paint booth won't help sub-par bodywork & sanding.

P

·
0 Posts
A spray booth is MUCH safer . . but if you aren't the one spraying, not your concern. It's his body. There will be more dirt in the paint, but most of it can be sanded out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A spray booth is MUCH safer . . but if you aren't the one spraying, not your concern. It's his body. There will be more dirt in the paint, but most of it can be sanded out.

OK, I'm convinced then. Booth better but not the critical factor. As long as I'm not charged for addition buffing and sanding I'll give the go ahead to paint without the booth.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
As others have said, it sure can be helpful but not a requirement. When I painted mine I did it in a 2 car garage using a dozen or so box fans and AC filters and 3M masking film. The whole garage got wrapped in film and then treated as a clean room. On the whole car I only had 2 small spots that had to be nibbed due to dirt. I also wore a full body suit and a quality full face respirator being sure to change the filters even more than recommended. Had no health issues afterwards and could not be happier with how the paint came out.

It's been about a year now, and no regrets other than wishing I had bought even more lights. I went to home depot and bought some really bright fluorescent lights but even with that there were sill some spots where I was spraying a bit blind.

·
Registered
35,211 Posts
Yeah, I painted my first Mustang (66 Sprint, Nightmist Blue) in a 3 car garage, moved out everything but a shelf of stuff which I covered with a plastic sheet. Then I sprayed the whole thing with a fine mist of water, to cut down dust. Came out pretty good. Synthol Enamel.

·
Registered
96 Posts
very nice paint job and the car is great looking. I've painted in my pole barn and I rinse the floor first, hang plastic wherever I can and spray. A paint booth does help to keep dust and the humidity in control, but it is not necessary for a good paint job as you can see from those that have replied.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As others have said, it sure can be helpful but not a requirement. When I painted mine I did it in a 2 car garage using a dozen or so box fans and AC filters and 3M masking film. The whole garage got wrapped in film and then treated as a clean room. On the whole car I only had 2 small spots that had to be nibbed due to dirt. I also wore a full body suit and a quality full face respirator being sure to change the filters even more than recommended. Had no health issues afterwards and could not be happier with how the paint came out.

It's been about a year now, and no regrets other than wishing I had bought even more lights. I went to home depot and bought some really bright fluorescent lights but even with that there were sill some spots where I was spraying a bit blind.
Very nice paint job and the car looks great to!!!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
as the others have said, you dont need a booth for a great paint job, but you do need to do what you can to control dust and other atmospheric contaminants. also as noted 90% of a great paint job is the body prep.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Ain't that the truth. I believe start to finish including metal work, filler, and making the hood scoop from steel the whole paint and body process took me about a year. You can read the whole saga in my build thread. Link in my signature. The actual spraying of color and clear was done in one weekend. Only took that long because of the stripe and mostly because of the .125" pinstripe around it. That part was a bit of a pain. but the pinstripe makes the whole paint job. So one night of misery was worth it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Painted both mine in the shop, no booth. Wet down floor, closed doors with improvised exhaust fan. Both painted with PPG Concept single stage.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I've done some google searches and they come back as the spray booth is not really necessary for a quality paint job.

Here's my situation - My paint and body guy moved to a new and larger facility. The story is that there's a money issue between the building owner and electricians - therefore no power has been pulled to the panel, and no power run to the brand new spray booth.
Sounds kinda fishy to me. Hire a different electrician to "restore" the power to the panel. We are still in a free country aren't we?

I have never painted a car in a spray booth and have received many compliments on the quality of my paint jobs back in the day even before we had 3000 grit sandpaper.

If the guy wants to do it on the side he should just be honest. Heat and humidity are bigger enemies than dirt this time of year.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Booth is better but not necessary if work is don't to control dust and ect. Years ago my bro and I painted his MGA in "booth" made with copper pipe, and vaporbarrier in a driveway. Turned out pretty nice. Their neighbor were probably pissed because it was in the city and we used laquer. The fume were kicking LMAO. We swepted and washed the cement. Then before we sprayed, we wet the cement. Man, talk about being high on fumes........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts