Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its one of those OK now it works, lets give it just a little more... Oh Frill :eek: So how did this happen, well my Mustang was idling in my driveway yesterday and just died. Hmmm Seems like it is out of fuel, disconnect the filter before the carb and no gas pours out. OK so why am I not getting fuel. I know there is gas in the tank, 3 to 4 gallons, so I jack up the rear and disconnect the fuel line. No gas there either. I blow some air into gas sending unit and I do not hear any bubbles, and to double check I use a snot sucker (you know those little bulbs that are used to suck the fluid out of a babies nose) and nothing came out. So out comes the sending unit. I can stick my finger in the hole and feel the gas about a 1/2 down. Sending unit looks fine, dug out my old rusty one and compaired them. Playing with the sending unit in the tank hole it seems as if the pickup tube is not hitting the bottom of the tank. OK I'm going to bend it a little, still nothing, and now we come into the beginning of my story... :p So I gave it "that one more bend" and the float assembly broke off. It was kind of a cheezy tack weld job of a repop sending unit. But after all of that here is my question finally. :: I am going to make some U bolts out of 6-32 threaded rod and attach the float to the pickup tube. I want to use aluminum rod and nuts just because it will be easier to work with. But is there a problem with having aluminum in the gas tank. I suppose this could qualify me for a doofus, but so far the parts have cost me $1.06 at the Home Depot. :: TIA fd

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I don't think Aluminun will bother the tank/gas. All carbs are made out of it so you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
19,212 Posts
You still haven't solved the problem of why you're not able to obtain gas...or do you think the pickup was too high to reach the last 3-4 gallons? Have you ever run the tank that low or lower before? I find it hard to believe that the pickup could be that far off...

·
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Randy,
This is a brand spank'in new used gas tank. :: The sending unit however is brand new. That last bend that I made to break off the float and rheostat was just a little too much. So I had to bend it back a little. I ended up not using the aluminum allthread because it kept breaking as I bent it. :: Luckly for me my neighboor was able to silver solder it back on for me. :: I bought him a 12 pack of longnecks, but I owe him much more than that for all of the help that he gives me. I had to come in to start dinner before I fire her up. fd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts