Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and if it isnt can you tap the holes for the spide hold down and turn it into a roller?? Is it an HO and does it have MAF.
(Im guessing no to all of this.)

·
Registered
19,972 Posts
No, it's not a HO. Is it a roller cam motor? Maybe. When Ford started making roller cam blocks, they were for Mustangs only, starting for the '85's. As time went on, Ford switched to only rollercam blocks around '87. However, a lot of these rollercam blocks had flat tappet cams. As a result, the bosses that hold down the spyders, will have to be drilled and tappeted.

There is a way to tell the roller blocks from the non-roller blocks. I forget exactly what it is, but it was by the starter, a casting # or something. But I will tell you that if you have 3 X's on the right side of the block above the tappets for cyl #'s 2 & 3 , it's a roller block.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My son's '87 motor has three X's, it's a flat tappet motor. My '87 motor has three Y's, it is a roller motor. I've asked lots of folks about the X's and Y's and no one knows. ??

·
Registered
19,972 Posts
If your son's motor has the cast nipples where the spyder would normally be blted to on a regular motor, these can be drilled and tapped for the spyders. also these blocks have the taller lifter bores for the roller tappets.

I had a guy at a swap meet who was going to give me a 302 truck motor like this to get rid of it. He didn't realize that it could be converted. I didn't take it, I didn't want to mess up my friends new Explorer!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts