Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Guess what my question is. . . ."Is engine bay black and wheel well black the same?". You guessed right! Seriously, if they were painted the same color was the sound deadner/undercoating applied in the wheel wells done before or after the black was applied?

If the colors are not the same, is the correct color dull "chassis Black"?

Finally, does anyone out there have a list of PPG or Ditzler codes corresponding to the original mustang colors?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I'm assuming your car is a Dearborn (plant code "F"), since you mention a black undercarriage.

I'll pass on my observations, but someone like Charles T, Pete Morgan, or Laurie S, can provide you with definitive information from an MCA perspective:

I've owned 2 66 Dearborn cars and the assembly manual suggests that the engine compartment and the underside of the car were painted as one operation (for Dearborn only). However, the engine compartments on both of my cars appear to have a slightly duller finish that the chassis, when the grime and undercoat are stripped off using mineral spirits.

I didn't own a compressor at the time I painted my cars engine compartment and chassis, so I used rattle cans. I used Krylon 1613 (semi-flat) in the engine compartment. Compared to low-mileage concours cars I've seen, it is just a teeny bit too dull, but darned close.

For the chassis, including the wheel wells, I used Rustoleom 7777 satin black, which is a harder, slower-drying finish than the krylon. It is also a couple of levels glossier, and appears to be about as close as you can get to the stuff Ford used on my cars. A warning on Rustoleum though - its solvents will attack other paint that has not fully cured and cause them to lift and craze.

As far as the order of finish is concerned - the chassis got black first, then the body was painted, and finally the undercoat was applied - from what I can see.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts