Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have a harmonic balancer off of an engine I just bought. There is no info for the engine balance. It is a 347. I do not have the flex plate that was on the engine. The balancer does not have any part number. It has a serial number and info about being SFI 18.1 certified. (SFI#A) is also marked on it. It has a seperate semi-circle lobe on it that is the counter weight. Is there a way to tell from the size of that lobe what the balancer is counter balanced for?

I can post a picture and some dimensions tonight if it will help. I have done a rough calculation on the counter weight and it seems to be about 22oz, but I am not sure if that directly cooresponds to the actual counter balance required by the crank.

Help!
Ted.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's close. I know the engine came out of '67 or '68 mustang, but since it was built up as a high performance engine, I don't know whether the builder liked 50 or 28 oz balance. I assume that he could do it either way. Is that true?

What I would really like to see is a nice pic of a 28 oz balancer next to a 50 oz balancer situated so you can see the counter weights. I tried surfing for pictures last night on some of the online parts stores without any luck.

Ted.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P.S. I really like your new wheels!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Since its marked SFI approved its most likely an aftermarket balencer.. My suggestion would be to take it to a machine shop and see if they can tell.. and also a part number might help as maybe you will get lucky and one of use will have the same part lying around..

AJ

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of taking it to a shop. If I find a shop that does a lot for Ford work, they will just look at it and tell me.

Although there is a serial number on it, there is not part number. It is definitly aftermarket. It looks a bit like the chrome ones from Summit. It has nice etched timing marks and the approvals. The serial number is stamped, and was also on the additional SFI approval sticker. I will put a few photos of it on late tonight.

Ted.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wahoo! The final verdict is in! I found my balancer for sale on "the action site". There is a 50oz version and a 28oz version. There is a noticable difference in size of the counter weights. Mine is 28oz, which is what I need for the Torino. It is made by R.P.M., who apparently makes them for SCAT, so the add on E H A Y says. Regardless, it is a fluid type damper and the right size.

2426531414 : This is the 50oz version
2426874418 : This is the 28oz version

It actually has R.P.M. laser etched on it, but it looks like it is part of the cert.

Ted.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I think strokers are preferred to be 28oz unbalance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts