Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I haven't posted in a while...

Dumb questions. I switched out the intake on the mustang tonight, and when I took the intake off, there is a 302 in the valley between the heads. Means it's a 302, right? Same thing on the heads. I know this is right, just need a little confirmation.

Also, when I took off the intake, antifreeze went into one of the intake ports on the head. Does that hurt anything? I dried it out the best I could. The engine hasn't been run for a few months, and I need to install the transmission before I can get it running of course.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Starting in late 67 production and for some of the 68 production 302 blocks were used to fullfill the demand for the last of the 289's-dimensionally they were pretty much the same. So depending on year of motor it could be either-only sure way to know would be to check rod numbers and crank number.Make sure you change the oil-that anitfreeze is now in base.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Except for casting numbers the block are the same.

If it has a 289 crank it is a 289, if it has a 302 crank it is a 302. That is the only way to to tell for certain.

As already mentioned Ford built quite a few 289s out of 302 blocks. I'm pretty sure they used 289 heads however, so your heads suggest it is a 302.

A 289 crank combined with 302 rods would result in an engine with lousy compression. And a 302 crank with 289 rods would put the pistons solidily into the heads.

John Harvey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts