Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have what I believed to be a 66 mustang but when I checked the vin under the hood I saw it started with a 5. however, the rear quarter panel has the mounting holes for a 66 and the door vin starts with a 6.

how can i tell what year it really is? could it be that the car was simply built late in 65 but its a 66?

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Door is likely off a donor...hopefully the fender vin matches the title.

Reactions: Steve S. and lennyB

·
Dimples
4,658 Posts
Most likely you have a 65 with 66 parts on it. More importantly, what does the title say?

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
The door is certainly easily changed, and the inner fender much less likely, but look for the hidden one on the passenger inner fender. It may have a completely different one !!

·
Registered
829 Posts
The numbers should match. Something got replaced in the last 50+ years. Do you have backup lights? How does the dashboard look like? How the front grill?
Have you checked the inner fender?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
If your first photo is the fender apron VIN something is wrong with it. Take a photo of that area from farther away.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'd be scraping or sanding the paint from around the underhood vin, it looks fishy.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I agree with the above that you have a 65 (289 2V, coupe, San Jose plant) and that you should verify the other inner fender VIN stamps. I would gently clean, wire brush, and sand the area around the inner fender VINs to get a better look at the stamping. There's obviously several layers of paint.

Ignore the door tag. It has no legal standing as a VIN and can be replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I agree with the last three comments. Digits of VIN should be stamped, indented like attached photo. Your VIN has raised digits it appears. Dean

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Look for other orig panels (if any) for date stamps. Perhaps trunk lip edge panels, cowl, interior panels, if not changed etc. Multiple date stamping's while verify car's years.

·
Registered
961 Posts
There will be 3 VIN #'s stamped on the fender aprons. two on the drivers side (one visible) and one on the passenger side. The fenders will need to be removed to see the hidden ones. They will be closer to the cowl.

·
Dimples
4,658 Posts
I agree with the last three comments. Digits of VIN should be stamped, indented like attached photo. Your VIN has raised digits it appears. Dean
I think that’s an optical illusion. You can see that the dirt was wiped away with a finger, but it’s still in the low spots, including the recessed letters/numbers.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Your VIN has raised digits it appears.
Hmm. To me it just looks like they're filled with paint, grit, and dirt. It's like that two-faces optical illusion.

And perhaps you meant it as an example of a fishy VIN, but your photo's "A" engine code stamping is extremely suspect. That just screams "Run away! Run away!" to me.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
1) the door plate has been painted over. There is legal wording on it that it is not the VIN.
2) the dash cluster: like a Falcon, or does it have the 5 gauges? The 5 gauges are the 66 Mustang.
3) pull the right fender back an inch or so. There is another set of Vin numners there. What do they say (and they should match the left side.)

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I agree about the optical illusion of pressed versus raised. I think they look pressed, but don’t see the stars, which is more concerning.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
687 Posts
The numbers under the hood on the fender aprons should match the Title and that is what year the car is. If the door and title match, and the vins on both aprons match but are differant than the title and door, then the title and door are from another car which is not good. Make sure the Title matches the apron numbers.

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
It's been almost 24 hours since the OP made this post and he hasn't responded since then. I wonder if somebody sent him a PM telling him that his car has had a VIN swap and he needs to shut up and quit posting before the cops come knocking on his door.
It is obvious that the VIN in his first photo is not original. Notice that the piece of metal that it is stamped into is lapped on top of another piece of metal. None of the 3 official VINs on a '65/'66 look like that. It appears to me that a VIN was cut out of another car and was simply placed on top of the official VIN.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd be scraping or sanding the paint from around the underhood vin, it looks fishy.
what makes you say that?

here is a picture of the drivers side fender from further away. There doesnt seem to be anything obvious that would indicate a vin swapping. The car is not mine. It is my fathers. He bought it about 15 years ago and has had it sitting in the garage since then. We recently took it out since i have a lot of spare time with the whole covid thing. He tells me its a 66. but i looked at the VIN and now i dont think it is a 66. Its got mixed parts. put there by my father thinking it was a 66 and spare parts hes collected over the years (like the 65 grille). So looking at the parts wont be much help. The only reason i was confused was because of the side panels being for a 66 and us having never replaced them. They were what we thought were original panels when we bought the car. ill have to remove the other fender soon to check the hidden vin

·
Registered
368 Posts
My 68 has a 67 T code door on it, I'm sure those types of things happened a lot, and especially over the last 55 years, the fender VIN is the one that matters, but I'd maybe verify it with a hidden VIN as well, but a 65/66 C code car isn't valuable enough to worry about if parts are correct, fix it up and have fun with it!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts