Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It seems to be registered as a 66 which i now know is probably incorrect. The vin on the title is the same vin from the doors.
My 68 has a 67 T code door on it, I'm sure those types of things happened a lot, and especially over the last 55 years, the fender VIN is the one that matters, but I'd maybe verify it with a hidden VIN as well, but a 65/66 C code car isn't valuable enough to worry about if parts are correct, fix it up and have fun with it!
Yeah im not worried about selling it or anything. Just wanted to know what i have. I guess i have a 65 with the body of a 66. instrument cluster is for 66. quarter ornimant is for a 66 rear quarter panels are for a 66. so its essentially a 66. guess ill just put a 66 grille so itll at least look "right" .

·
Dimples
4,683 Posts
I wouldn’t put a single penny into it until you sort out the VIN issue. You need to pull the fenders.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wouldn’t put a single penny into it until you sort out the VIN issue. You need to pull the fenders.
This... If you find stampings that match the left inner fender stamping when you check the other two underhood apron stamps, have your local PD run the underhood vin before spending another dime. If it is on a hot list, your father will be out of a car. If the other hidden vin stampings match the door tag, then no issue and the left front apron has been replaced at some time in the past. Also, if the other two hidden vin stampings do happen to match the door tag, you may be able to get the title corrected to the correct vin depending on what state you are in.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
if your title matches only the door and not any of the the inner fender apron vins, the car is virtually worthless.

·
Premium Member
11,808 Posts
It sounds like somebody had a wrecked or rusted out '65 Mustang with a title and a good '66 Mustang with no title so they moved the VIN from the wreck/rustbucket to the good body. The Federales don't look kindly on these kinds of swaps.

·
Registered
35,514 Posts
what makes you say that?

here is a picture of the drivers side fender from further away. There doesnt seem to be anything obvious that would indicate a vin swapping. The car is not mine. It is my fathers. He bought it about 15 years ago and has had it sitting in the garage since then. We recently took it out since i have a lot of spare time with the whole covid thing. He tells me its a 66. but i looked at the VIN and now i dont think it is a 66. Its got mixed parts. put there by my father thinking it was a 66 and spare parts hes collected over the years (like the 65 grille). So looking at the parts wont be much help. The only reason i was confused was because of the side panels being for a 66 and us having never replaced them. They were what we thought were original panels when we bought the car. ill have to remove the other fender soon to check the hidden vin View attachment 762792
Well, it's got a '65 grille.... My bet would be a '66 "donor door" and somebody put the '66 "scoops" on the quarters. A "definitive" check would be the instrument cluster and, if it has a '66 cluster, to look at the metal surround... the '66 had a FACTORY "notch" at the bottom. FWIW, all 3 VINS could be the same if the car was "clipped"... hopefully his title matches the "fender VIN".

·
Dimples
4,683 Posts
If you can get me a clearer/closer shot of the holes in the quarter panels, I can probably tell you if they’re factory or were added later. The three “finger” holes are a bit oblong in a way that would be difficult for the home gamer to replicate.

hopefully his title matches the "fender VIN".
He’s already said it matches the door

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Hey shadowkon626, what vin does the title have on it? Hopefully the one on the apron, not the door. Did your dad retitle the car in his name? it looks like you have a fun project on your hands, glad you can help your dad get this stalled project moving. Lets get the title and the vin aprons confirmed first, then what is on your to do list...You must have a lot of other questions, share your plans!

·
Registered
35,514 Posts
If you can get me a clearer/closer shot of the holes in the quarter panels, I can probably tell you if they’re factory or were added later. The three “finger” holes are a bit oblong in a way that would be difficult for the home gamer to replicate.

He’s already said it matches the door
Ugh. Well, depending on how far back ownership goes there's a chance of getting it corrected...maybe requiring a bond, but at least it gets fixed.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I betting it got hit in the front at some point and the front clip was swapped from a parts car. You’ll find all three VINs match but they don’t match the door or title...

·
Dimples
4,683 Posts
I betting it got hit in the front at some point and the front clip was swapped from a parts car. You’ll find all three VINs match but they don’t match the door or title...
Very possibly. That could either be a simple thing or a nightmare, depending on the mood of whatever state official is in charge of verifying registration.

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
I hope nobody is missing a Mustang someplace and either of those VINs match an old police report...
BUT stolen car VINs are removed from the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) registry after some time...
AND @shadowkon626 has had the car in the family a long time with a State issued title for the 66 and if somebody was gonna try to hide a stolen 65, they wouldn't leave the VIN out in the open like that....
NOW here's to hoping you get it straightened out and can get a current tag for it, make it all you would like it to be and...
ENJOY it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Notice that the piece of metal that it is stamped into is lapped on top of another piece of metal.
Again, I think that's just an illusion. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he used a flash and the outer fender cast that hard shadow. You see a VIN plate welded "above" the inner fender, while I see the outer fender's cutout for the VIN stamp.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The vin on the title is the same vin from the doors.
That's may be very bad depending on your State. You basically have a title to a different car. You need to verify the hidden VIN stamps under the fenders. Hopefully, that one visible VIN stamp is the anomaly. The other two legal VIN stamps on the inner fenders may match your title. If so, then you're golden. Just remove the invalid VIN stamp. If the other VINs are missing or do not match your title, then I agree with BlakeTX, don't put a penny into that car until you get the title straightened out. The door warranty plate has no legal standing as a VIN since it can be easily replaced. Whoever sold that car to your Dad 15 years ago may now face legal troubles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The OP should be able to easily tell if the digits are raised, but they certainly look like braille in the photo. And the spacing seems inconsistent and off kilter. Strange though, it seems if one were to try and forge the vin they would have used the one from the title.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Pull the fenders.

The metal dash isn't commonly replaced, and dashpad mounting holes are unique for both years. Post photos of the dash/pad. Guessing your familiarity level with early Mustangs, "66 instrument cluster" might just be pony interior or GT for 65 (5 dial), and though you may think it is a 66, it could be a 65. My guess is you have a 66 judging more so by the quarter panel holes. Even if quarter has been replaced (common), I wouldn't think someone would use 66 ornamentation on a 65.

Does it have pony interior? 65B on the dataplate is for a coupe with pony interior.

·
Dimples
4,683 Posts
The OP should be able to easily tell if the digits are raised, but they certainly look like braille in the photo. And the spacing seems inconsistent and off kilter. Strange though, it seems if one were to try and forge the vin they would have used the one from the title.
They're not raised. To do so would require stamping tools that are reversed. I think that's too big of a hurdle for this scenario. Also, I've seen plenty of VIN stamps that look like a drunk monkey set up the tool. They were making these things fast.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Doesn't look raised to me, and I think I see remnants of a paint filled star or asterik in front of the vin

21 - 40 of 58 Posts