Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
here is a picture of the drivers side fender from further away. Tremove the other fender soon to check the hidden vin

View attachment 762792
I see a LOT of overspray (repairs) on the fender apron and top of the firewall. What does the passenger side look like? If that fender apron is black, it may be that only the driver side was replaced and that the VIN on the passenger side may be original. If there is overspray on the passenger side, my guess would be that the whole front clip was replaced.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The comments on the original posters dilemma range from rational to hysteria. Even when we know that a registration based on the door tag is one of the most common mistakes made. To the original poster, if in fact your doors have been swapped out and the car registered on the basis of the door tag it can be fixed.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I can see your car has a 65 grill on it. My money says door has been replaced, maybe rear fender off a wrecked 66. Are the quarter ornaments the same on both sides? Had a 70 nova with different trim on each side because of cheap wreck repair early in its life.

·
Dimples
4,683 Posts
I can see your car has a 65 grill on it. My money says door has been replaced, maybe rear fender off a wrecked 66. Are the quarter ornaments the same on both sides? Had a 70 nova with different trim on each side because of cheap wreck repair early in its life.
The OP said that his dad had used various spare parts on the car, specifically mentioning the 65 grille.

A little investigation and some more photos would likely clear this up. I think we're all collectively more worried about this than the owner is, lol.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Lol, I thought that too. I wouldn't be that concerned either if I planned to keep it and drive it.

·
Dimples
4,683 Posts
Lol, I thought that too. I wouldn't be that concerned either if I planned to keep it and drive it.
I would. Maybe I'm just too much of a rule follower, but I would always have registration/insurance worst-case-scenarios running through my head. I'd feel better if I hammered it out before spending a bunch of money on it.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
OK guys good news! so I couldnt quite take the passenger side fender out cause of one pesky screw which ill have to try and remove tomorrow since i have to adjust the passenger side door anyways cause it sits a little too high and its hard to open. But i was able to sort of pry the fender up enough to see the hidden vin and sand it down so it would be visible. It matches the door vin and and vin on the title. its a little hard to see here in the picture. Thanks alot for your help. im just glad i wont have to go through the trouble of getting the title fixed. im guessing one of the previous owners had an accident and had the drivers side fender removed.
20200730_182324.jpg

·
Registered
675 Posts
It came from the car that was used to replace the original apron.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ah! So best to ruin that vin then, to avoid any future confusion
haha guess ill have to pull off the passenger fender if i ever decide to sell it just to prove the vin matches the title. Im not gonna sell it though. My dads going to pass it on to me so im planning on keeping it forever.

·
Premium Member
11,808 Posts
You could cut a notch in the passenger side fender just like the notch in the driver side fender to expose the "true" VIN.
Did you check the "hidden" VIN on the driver side? It's located between the shock tower and the firewall.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Good news!!! Now, whats the time line, budget, and plan to get this car back on the road! add your location in your avatar as well!

·
Registered
739 Posts
It matches the door vin and and vin on the title.
Excellent! I'd cut out the invalid VIN stamp and do as @awhtx suggests to expose at least one valid VIN stamp on the inner fenders. Since you know the door warranty tag is original, you now know the factory options like exterior paint color. You can order a replacement warranty plate if you can't get the red paint off without destroying the original finish.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
375 Posts
Excellent! I'd cut out the invalid VIN stamp and do as @awhtx suggests to expose at least one valid VIN stamp on the inner fenders. Since you know the door warranty tag is original, you now know the factory options like exterior paint color. You can order a replacement warranty plate if you can't get the red paint off without destroying the original finish.
How would you best go about removing paint on the data plate? Mine was painted over in '81 I think with enamel and would prefer to keep the original than get a repop.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Good news!!! Now, whats the time line, budget, and plan to get this car back on the road! add your location in your avatar as well!
Well we just got the cylinder heads done and will be putting them back on soon. The headliner need to be placed in and id like to replace the electrical cause its very DIY and pieced together by the old owner. Id like to get it repainted cause while its painted now, whoever did it didnt do a great job and there are a lot of chips on the paint. Id also like to get the engine bay detailed. But ill most likley do that myself to save some money. just want it painted and cleaned up. and lastley it needs seatbelts! im thinkiing of going with 3-point seatbelts just to add a bit of saftey. Was looking at the headrest, and theyre $400! thats rediculus! Hoping not to spend too much money from here on out though. It definitelly wont be a show car or anything like that.

·
Registered
739 Posts
How would you best go about removing paint on the data plate?
I would just order an exact duplicate. Only the data is actually important.

Maybe if the paint didn't adhere well you can peel it off. If you use Scotch Bright, a light touch, and lots of patience I don't think the result will be very satisfactory.

In the end, you'd likely need to strip to bare metal and then repaint the black areas. You could make a stencil like Ford used back in the day, but it might be easier to just paint the entire background and use a CNC laser engraver to burn away the Ford logo and misc letters. It would be a lot of work with a vector-based drawing program to create the laser pattern.

In any case, it would be a lot of work for very little return.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts