Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a 67 or 68 vert for my wife to give to her for our 20th ann. In two years. If I start looking now, I will have one found by then. She has always dreamed of a red, 67-68 v-8 auto vert. I found a great car, only its a I-6. I have 3 302's lying around, one is a roller. Can the I-6 car handle a 302? What will I have to do to it?
Thanks...Kevin

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
The motor, tranny and rearend all need to be changed in a v8 conversion as well as the complete suspension and brakes to the upgraded v8 setups. Its not all that hard to do when you have money to throw at it, but if you are looking for a budget build you might want to wait till you get a v8 starter car.

If you are looking at cars that need full suspenion rebuilds and a lot of other work anyway, you will prob spend $1500 or so on additional parts (rear, tranny, spindles) on parts that you wouldn't if you did the same restoration on a v8 car. My numbers are of course a very rough estimate since I have never done it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you were lucky enough to find a 250 I6 then the swap is fairly easy b/c I believe they used the 5 bolt spindles and 8" rear. If not then there is a little more to do. Here in OH, if the car were rust free and a good deal, then it would be worth it. Due to very high $ and rarity of rust free bodies here. Plus rust repair far exceeds the cost of changing out the mechanicals. Besides, unless the car's mechanicals have already been completely re-worked it's time to replace a lot of the same components. A friend of mine bought a rust free I6 '67 coupe from AZ and converted it to a V8 and he's money ahead over buying the same condition V8 car here, even after paying for shipping. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I would ONLY get it if its a rust free type situation.

IF there are other comparable cars out there, then spend the money up front to by V8 from the get go.

you NEED to upgrade the suspension. its not just a "politically correct" thing. the I6 parts can break with the V8 weight. its not a joke. i've seen a posted image of a I6 spindle snapped in half because someone chose "horsepower over safety".

if you search you will find info. .. its not HARD to do, if you have all the parts. it is VERY TIME CONSUMING.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Historical note: 1969 was the first year of the 250 CID six cylinder. It is true the 250 can accept the same bell housing and flexplate/flywheel as the small block V8 but they are internally balanced so their flexplate/flywheel must be neutral balance.

The Mustangs (and Mavericks) equipped with the 250 had 5 bolt 8" rear ends. I believe their front spindles were V8 size too.

Regards,

Dean T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts